Kayak or canoe?

Bambi

One of these days I dream of having a kayak. I have canoed before, but for some reason the idea of kayaking really appeals to me. Which do you prefer?

JLockard

Depends on the situation...

If I need to carry a LOT of gear, then definitely a canoe. If I'm going out on a river or lake by myself, and not a LOT of gear, then definitely a kayak. If I'd like to have more of a connection to the person I'm with on the water, the I think there's more to be said for the canoe. If we're doing a trip where we'd like to move and fish, then the canoe makes more sense for me, as one person can canoe and the other can paddle.

But, I must say, that lately I'm really leaning much more toward the kayak.

-John

ChadTower

If I'd like to have more of a connection to the person I'm with on the water, the I think there's more to be said for the canoe.

That is a big one that most people overlook. Canoeing can be a team endeavor. Kayaking is more like biking in that you're all there but you are not working together in any meaningful way most of the time.

Really, you can't say one is ever better than the other without having context of where you are going and why. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

jason

fear no beer
I love my kayak. I do not have to have someone else with me, I can carry a lot in it, and it gives me some freedom. But with kids and the wife, I will have to get a canoe soon so they can go with me.

Scout

I have both and for all the reasons above. I like to refer to the canoe as my Cadillac & my Kayak as my sports car. I find myself useing the kayak more because I prefer creeks/rivers & moving water over flat water where I would take the canoe. I have always wanted to go canoe camping but find it hard enough to get friends together as it is. Windows of time seem to be easier found with the kayak thrown on the roof & camping gear in the car then head out after work on a friday...just sayin'

Dennis1022

I have always used a canoe, but I did buy a kayak couple years ago and used several times but it wsn't my cup of tea. Also if you had shoulder operation a kayak isn't the a good idea. Plenty of wear & tear on the rotor as the canoe you only pull not like the kayak you pedal! So if you are going to buy a kayak buy one with wide open cock pit so if you flip over easier to get out. Now as for the canoe don't buy any canoe that don't have a keel. The keel gives you balance on the canoe, I can stand and fish and even paddle but this comes with experience. So another thing to look at is weight transporting your canoe or kayak from water to water and to your vehichle. There is so many factors envolved to much to talk about in 1 forum it is your decision. Mine is a canoe, but that is me!

D Bish

I love my kayak. I do not have to have someone else with me, I can carry a lot in it, and it gives me some freedom. But with kids and the wife, I will have to get a canoe soon so they can go with me.
We bought a canoe when our son was 5 or 6. Today is his 40th birthday and we still have the same canoe. We have had many fun hours in the canoe. I had a kayak but it was stolen before I got to take it to the water so canoeing is my only experience. It would be hard to give up the old aluminum tub.

D.

Chippin

I prefer canoes to kayaks most of the time. Canoeing always feel more traditional and meaningful I suppose, since the other person you are with needs to know how to paddle for the canoe to go anywhere. I love to go out in the middle of the lake at night when the moon is full and it's not too cloudy. It's my idea of the poor man's romantic getaway and at a much cheaper cost. All you need is a special someone, a canoe, and a lake to use.

Scout

You know...the smart thing to do would be to spend this next season going to outfitters & renting each & trying them out have fun. Take a couple of runs down a river & paddle around a few lakes in both a kayak & a canoe. Check out what boats they are ask lots of questions & keep an eye out for a bargain on Craigs List or something before you spend a bunch a cash. Find out what suits your fancy before you buy a boat. Who's to say you even have to buy one there are plenty of small buissness/outfitters out there that could use your biz I'm sure. You will find your fancy.

Lorax

For me, it all depends on what I'll be doing, where I'll be going,what I'm carrying and if I'll be portaging.
I'll take my kayak if I expect a lot of wind and want to make miles. If I want to slow it down a little or if there's portaging, then the canoe suits my needs more.
I also have a small canoe paddled with a kayak paddle and the seat lowered for when I need something in between too.

Define your needs and try out a few different types of watercraft.

le Metis

I have always used a canoe, but I did buy a kayak couple years ago and used several times but it wsn't my cup of tea. Also if you had shoulder operation a kayak isn't the a good idea. Plenty of wear & tear on the rotor as the canoe you only pull not like the kayak you pedal! So if you are going to buy a kayak buy one with wide open cock pit so if you flip over easier to get out. Now as for the canoe don't buy any canoe that don't have a keel. The keel gives you balance on the canoe, I can stand and fish and even paddle but this comes with experience. So another thing to look at is weight transporting your canoe or kayak from water to water and to your vehichle. There is so many factors envolved to much to talk about in 1 forum it is your decision. Mine is a canoe, but that is me!
In canoeing, if you are only pulling the paddle, you're not using all the upperbody muscles for power, and control. The better method is to push with the dry hand while pulling with the wet hand. Additionally, the dry hand should go no higher then the shoulder to save wear and tear on the rotator cup. Additionally, one should consider the type of paddle, for myself I've found that the all wood beaver tails, and deep water otter tail designs are much easier on the body which allows for long days at the paddle with less fatigue. Nor do they cavitate, which makes for smoother Canadian, or J strokes....
As for keels, those are great for flatwater, but can be a problem on rivers with rocky whitewater sections. They also tend to "plow" when poling upstream, being slow and ungraceful when moving from eddy to eddy....

ChadTower

You should also be doing a lot of the work with your core. Lean forward as you pull back and you're paddling as much with your core as you are with your arms/shoulders. There are times in wind and current that there is just no way you can get through arm paddling no matter how big your arms happen to be.

Dennis1022

Well I'm going to buy another canoe and it is going to be a SportsPal / Radisson Canoe 12' 34Lbs and has foam attached to the sides. This is alum. ultra lite weight and don't sink will swamp but not sink. They hold value and hard to fin used ones. If you want to check out some canoes check them out.

BCBabe

It depends on where I'll be paddling.

I prefer kayaks for the sea, and canoes for lakes. I've found it too easy to get swamped in a canoe while in seawater, and just don't bother anymore, kayaks are the more practical beast for the areas I get into, and I LIKE the spray-skirt, which goes a very long way to keeping one warm and dry.

Dennis1022

Here is another reason not to buy a kayak, even with this man having years of paddling experience this person flipped his kayak and drowned in Falls Lake NC 1-31-2011 he was 35 years young. I know it could happen to a person on a canoe or even a large boat. But this person wants to know a kayak is more easier to flip over a canoe is also but you have more feeling of the canoe when it likely to flip. I had kayaks and canoes and got rid of the kayaks and now I have the canoe and sticking with it. Just remember never paddle alone but if you do. Let someone know area time out, bring extra clothing in dri pack with shoes waterproof matches, emerg. Blanket. make sure your cell phone is fully charged and flare gun. Winter paddling is very dangerous but even summer could be also by hypothermia. So there is disadvantages to all types of boats, but to me I'll choose a canoe you can un-swamp a canoe easier then a kayak even while you in the water. As for paddling with my injuries, tried a kayak and it was very painful but when I paddled the canoe I had pain but it was minor.

Benny

I've honestly never really done much of either. I guess I wouldn't mind either one. I need to work on my arms a little, as it is.

le Metis

Here is another reason not to buy a kayak, even with this man having years of paddling experience this person flipped his kayak and drowned in Falls Lake NC 1-31-2011.....
I think there is more to this drowning then just the kayak....I've seen very experienced kayakers and canoeist incapacitated by cold water and often unable to self rescue. It's the reason that when I'm teaching white water techniques I tell the newbe's that the white water classification system is much too subjective because it doesn't take into account water temperture. For myself, a winter crossing of a dead water Class C lake is more dangerous then a summer run on a Class III river with water temps at 75........

Seven

I have had no experience with a kayak but will this summer. I have only been in a canoe one time and that was a LONG journey since I didn't know what I was doing, we had 8 canoes in tow and my 'teammate' was a 8 year old! I will take my jet ski over that any day!

gear-report

Gear junkie
Here is another reason not to buy a kayak, even with this man having years of paddling experience this person flipped his kayak and drowned in Falls Lake NC 1-31-2011 he was 35 years young.
Actually, my understanding of the 39 year old gentleman that drowned at Falls is that he was relatively new to paddling, having less than 2 years of experience.
He was paddling and fishing on water that is just above freezing (I believe I read water temp was 36F), alone, without a dry suit. Divers recovered his body using sonar. That implies that he was not wearing a lifejacket.
It seems that there were many other factors at play, and that there were significant risks being taken without proper gear and/or precautions.

You don't have to like kayaks and are certainly entitled to your opinion. Lets just try to be reasonable when making generalizations.

By the way, I did not know the person, but he was also a member of a local kayaking group that I am a member of. This soon after the incident, I'm sure that his family and friends would appreciate a more sensitive approach to discussion of the event that left his 5 year old daughter without a father.

Personally, I canoed a lot growing up, and own a small fleet of recreational sit on top kayaks. I've also owned a few sit in kayaks. Generalizing all kayaks as less stable than a canoe is hardly fair. I find many of the recreational sit on top kayaks available today are FAR more stable than any canoe I've ever paddled. For me, wet re-entry on a sit on top kayak is easier, as is paddling after a capsize... as the sit on top kayak isn't full of water like the canoe would be.
Sounds from your post that your negative impressions were of sit in kayaks.