Kayak

HikingGuy

What is a good price for a plastic kayak? They are on sale this week for $249, but I am not sure if that is good or not.

jason

fear no beer
I paid a lot more for mine. A lot more. But I got a good brand, and a quality one. It is thicker plastic then those you would find at Sports Authority, or Wal-Mart. It also has more goodies, and of course part of it was paying for the name.

But for $249, if it gets you out of the water, and you do not want to comment a bunch of money to it, I would say it is not bad.

HikingGuy

I figure I will invest in a cheap one until I see if I am going to like it or not. I don't want to invest money in something I am not going to like.

ChadTower

It entirely depends on where you intend to take it. On a calm flat freshwater $249 will do the job. On a large body or any salt water it'll be insufficient enough to be dangerous.

Used kayaks are easy to find and cost a lot less. Tons of people buy them and use them twice before selling.

FreshAirLover

I got an inflatable AdvancedFrame kayak from Amazon.com for $400. It came with a carrying duffel bag, folding seat, and repair kit. It's really awesome and quite easy to set up. My son and I use it every other week-end.

But if you want a plastic one, $249 seems too little...

HikingGuy

I went and had a look at the kayak and I agree, it is too little, literally. It might fit m one son, if he is lucky. I found one on craigslist for $400, it is a 10 ' Pelican, anyone have any experience with that brand?

rockytibby

My husand and I are new to kayaking. We want to buy two but dont know where to start. Does size of person matter. My hubby is 6' and 210 pounds I am 4'11"1/2 and 125 pounds.Any suggestions would be helpful.

jason

fear no beer
Does size of person matter. .
Some kayaks will hold more weight then others. Max load in mine is 550 pounds. Something like a Sierra-10 only holds 325 pounds max. I've seen some kayaks only hold as little as 200 pounds. But those are typically the short 8-9 foot ones. It is something to consider. Especially if you are hauling your camping gear with you.

I would go to several kayak rental places and rent different models. Some stores have areas where you can test kayaks before you buy also.

freedommachine

How pratical would it be to kayak on a calm lake with a dog that is 170pounds. Me and my wife have large dogs and thought about if there is anyway possible to put a big dog in a kayak. The dog,she would have a life vest but I dont think It would be wise to even try but we would like some feedback on that.

Bob

I don't think I would be inclined to do it. If you want to give it a try, my suggestion is to try it in shallow water with very little gear along.