Killed A Snake By Mistake

OutTheBackDoor

Well, last weekend we were at a local park camping and I saw a wiggly thing headed toward the tent. Of course, I got the axe and chopped it's little wiggly head off. I thought it was a venomous snake but it turned out to be a harmless black snake. I hated that I killed a beneficial snake but it was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't like to sleep with any of the wigglies anyway but this fellow would have been banished from the campsite instead of killed if I could have identified it as a non-venomous species first. Drat!

firefly

Oh I hate snakes. I don`t care what kind they are, ick! Just the other day I looked out my sliding glass doors and saw my dog throwing a long black snake around. He killed it. Then I made my hubby go get it and throw it away. My son in law has 3 snakes. BIG ones! One of them eats rabbits! That`s so sad.:hurt:

failghe

I have always hated snakes, and would not like to go near them. But once I realized that they are good and we and other animals need them, part of the cycle of life thing. I got used to them. Sort of. I can watch them from not so far, but absolutely not too close.

jason

fear no beer
I've learned to tolerate them in the "wild". I have a black racer living under my home made rain "barrels". But I know he is not poisonous. I have no problems holding a pet snake. What I worry about is when I'm in the woods or near some water. I'm always thinking where can a snake be hiding.

Now a similar story, a local restaurant with outdoor seating had a snake that would not leave the deck with the seating. As it was upsetting some customers, he tried to remove the snake. He finally managed to grab it by the tail and went to fling it over the fence. Sadly it ended up hitting some AC fans and he killed it.

Jane

Eeew. I for one don't really care for snakes either. Even if they are the ones that kill the other snakes. I prefer to kill first and let someone else dispose of and ask questions later. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Buster

I wouldn't feel too bad about this. In a split second, it is very hard for a novice to tell the difference between a venomous and non-venomous snake. Best to be safe.

HereToday

I was always very frightened of snakes, but my husband helped me overcome it, BUT, if I'd been confronted by that snake all of a sudden I might have done the same thing.
That's the thing, I think. We usually meet up with these critters by accident, and adrenaline takes over. I had a friend who was nine months pregnant and found a rattlesnake right under her garden hose. She said it wouldn't have mattered if she was eighteen months pregnant, she never moved so fast in her whole life!

kernow

The poor snake, it wasn't really in the wrong place you were in it's place, but I can see why you reacted as you did. It is easy for me to be more relaxed about snakes, in UK we only have one sort of venomous snake and it is not aggressive and if treated the bite is not fatal. If I was in your position I would probably have reacted as you did.