Life jackets for saltwater fishing?

limbs

What is the law when it comes to life jackets when you are salt water fishing? I know it must depend on the state, and how far out you are.

Luvoutdoors

I am pretty sure that you are right about it varying by state. I think all states require you to have enough life jackets on board for all passengers.

jason

fear no beer
I just wear the inflatable ones. They are light, and do not get in the way. So I wear mine all the time. As far as the laws. it is going to vary between each state. Coast Guard interim rules require children under 13 on moving boats to wear a life jacket. But I think that is only for states without a children's life jacket law.

oldmangunner

That is not a bad idea Jason. I bring my life jacket, but I do not wear it all the time because it is cumbersome. Do you know where I could pick up inflatable life jackets cheap?

jason

fear no beer

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me no life jackets are.

Hi...

When I'm afloat in a "small" boat, I ALWAYS wear a life jacket.

On the nearby Delaware River, most boaters/rafters, etc. DON'T wear them. They are the ones who bring out the rescue/retrieval boats when they are dumped overboard, or try to swim the River (or a lake). Unfortunately, many of them do not survive.

How do you explain this stupidity to their family?

No matter how good you think you can swim...KEEP THAT LIFE JACKET ON...!!

ppine

Forester
The oceans are managed by Federal laws, and for lifejackets the governing agency is the US Coast Guard. They have 2 different requirements for near shore and off shore lifejackets. Both have minimum buoyancy requirements and need to be able to support the head of an unconscious swimmer. Just make sure your lifejackets are rated for these uses. There is a Class rating also.

Judy Ann

PFDs for everyone on the boat. Everyone has to know how to quickly access emergency equipment as well. I'm a big fan of salt water fishing, both close to shore and deep sea. I don't wear mine in calm weather either, but it is within reach. Now if I were in a sea kayak, I'd wear it constantly.