My kids are in the backyard

greengrass

My kids (the older two) are camping in the backyard at my parents' house tonight. I am a little hesitant about it but they assure me they'll be okay. Fingers crossed they sleep through the night!

peanut

That's awesome! How'd it go? I camped outside with friends for the first time when I was 9. And a neighbor kid came over and scared the bejeebers out of us all. It's a great memory.

deb60

That is awesome. We do this all the time. My kids like to have friends over and they camp out. We always have a bon-fire and roast marshmallows and everything. I think they might have come in once.

jason

fear no beer
It is a great way to get them out and give them an experience while still being able to keep an eye on them.

greengrass

Sadly... they lasted about 45 minutes. LOL :) They are such wimps sometimes. Apparently they didn't like the "noises" they were hearing. If an adult had been in the tent with them they would have been fine.

trader

45 minutes is a start. When I was a kid, me and my younger brother had a blast doing that.Whenever we heard a strange noise, we would "strange noise" it back!

limaker

I remember doing this as a kid but I know not all neighbor hoods are easy to do this with (esp. those out in the country). I would if there were a fence of some type, or maybe not far off the porch but it depends if there will be adult supervision outside (in tent) too. I guess I am over protective.

Grady

Camping in the backyard is great. Maybe next time they'll last a little longer. It's funny how when you're a kid you don't notice all the strange noises that come with the night until there's no adult with you.

peanut

I admit that being in the dark is a little scary for me sometimes. lol So I can imagine it may have been a little scary for your kids. Maybe next time.

jason

fear no beer
45 minutes is a start. When I was a kid, me and my younger brother had a blast doing that.Whenever we heard a strange noise, we would "strange noise" it back!
I think it is to be expected. At a young age your mind can come up with all sorts of things. Especially if you are not used to hearing certain sounds.