Natural Mosquito Repellents

CFlyer

Besides from smoke, are there anymore mosquito repellents when we are camping out? I've seen Bear Grills put on some mud to repel mosquitoes but I'm not sure if we will be comfortable having mud while sleeping.

I reckon that the natural ingredients from the lotions that we apply can be found in nature so I'm thinking that there are plants that can repel mosquitoes. My problem is I don't know them.

HikerChick

Anything but bananas or stuff that contains banana flavors! If I'm not mistaken, mosquitoes ares actually attracted by that stuff.

I think the mud only works to give them a hard time detecting/getting onto you...I don't know if it actually "repels".

woodzman

If you have wild catnip in your area, give that a try. Just pick some leaves, crush them up with your fingers and rub them on your skin. It works about as well as anything else I've tried and smells a lot better. I suppose some people might be allergic to it, so you might want to test it on a small area first. I've heard that yarrow works good too, but I've never tried it.

jason

fear no beer
I keep hearing that you can put a dryer sheet under your hat. That is supposed to keep them away. I have yet to try it however. Not really natural however.

Natural oils for repelling mosquito's include:

• Citronella Oil
  • Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
  • Cinnamon Oil
  • Castor Oil
  • Rosemary Oil
  • Lemongrass Oil
  • Cedar Oil
  • Peppermint Oil
  • Clove Oil
  • Geranium Oil

calanta

I have heard of (and used) Clove oil but thats the only one I can think of. I still get some bite marks when I forget an idea or when I have been swimming and fully forget to reapply. We try to keep a fire going most of the time for extra protection.

CFlyer

I keep hearing that you can put a dryer sheet under your hat. That is supposed to keep them away. I have yet to try it however. Not really natural however.

Natural oils for repelling mosquito's include:

• Citronella Oil
  • Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
  • Cinnamon Oil
  • Castor Oil
  • Rosemary Oil
  • Lemongrass Oil
  • Cedar Oil
  • Peppermint Oil
  • Clove Oil
  • Geranium Oil
These oil are a good list for repelling mosquitoes. It seems to me that they smell good too especially Lemon Eucalyptus and Peppermint.

Can we get these plants, if they are available in the area, and apply the leaves directly on our skin?