Oil Spill May Be Pushing Sharks Toward Fla. Beaches

jason

fear no beer
(June 11) -- The appearance of a huge man-eating shark near a Florida beach on the cusp of the summer swimming season would not usually evoke a sympathetic response from either beachgoers or local tourism boosters.

But the discovery of a weakened, disoriented tiger shark -- measuring more than 11 feet and weighing some 800 pounds -- in the surf of Nokomis Beach last month has become something of a poignant symbol for what scientists fear most from the gulf oil spill: the unknown effects of the massive underwater oil plume and dispersants on marine life beneath the waves.

"When we see deeper-water sharks this close to shore, it leads me to believe that something is going on," said Robert Hueter, director of the Center for Shark Research at the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota. "The tiger shark was still alive, but disoriented and lethargic. That matches what toxicologists tell me are the effects of oil on other invertebrates."

more Oil Spill May Be Pushing Sharks Toward Florida Beaches

smellslikedirt

Well that is a pretty scary thought. I would imagine with them disoriented there may be a greater chance of them biting someone as well. I didn't even hear about this before I read it here, I wonder if they are telling people.

wildberry

Wow, that is a scary thought. If it is affecting those deep water giants, can you imagine what it is doing to the smaller fish that are closer to the surface? I worry that the entire gulf may end up being damaged from this. It makes me feel horrible.

Luvoutdoors

No doubt about it the Gulf will never be the same and there is no telling how many species may be completely obliterated by this mess. :(