Old Iron Skillet

SmokeyJoe

My mother loved her cast iron skillets, and that's about all she'd cook with, whether it was cornbread in the oven or fried potatoes on the stove. Well, she passed away last year, and I got her iron skillets. We're going camping in a few weeks, and I'm taking one of the skillets with me. I'm sure Momma will be looking down on me, saying "Don't burn them potatoes, son."

Cappy

Good for you Joe you will be bringing your mama's memory camping with ya. I have an ole filet knife i gave my dad for Christmas many years ago. The blade is kinda thin but it lives in our camper and wether cleaning fish or choppin onions when I use the ole knife i am constantly reminded of the many happy times we shared. It's simple, its corney, but it means the world to me. God bless you and ya mom.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I love a good cast iron skillet. They're heavy but nothing beats them. I have one my dad gave me. It makes the best omelets.

I think they're better than any of those new non-stick pans with the diamond coatings. There's the blue one that costs a fortune and promises "restaurant quality" and then there's the green one that's cheap and they show it being used like a hammer to beat up another frying pan. I'd like to see them try that with a cast iron pan.

rayne

I love my iron frying pan!!! Especially for baking corn bread. I pour my oil in the pan and pop it in the oven and let it get hot, hot. Then pour in the cornbread batter and listen to it sizzle, put it back into the oven and bake until golden brown. Ain't nothin' better.

CozInCowtown

Many years ago when rooting around India, back when the city was called Dehli, I brought home a set of copper skillets and matching pots & pans.
Solid copper and as heavy as cast iron, nice and thick.
Them were the best cooking crockery I ever seen before and since.
X-wife stole them in the divorce......B****!!

Last edited:

Judy Ann

I take my momma's old cast iron skillet with me when car camping on the coast just in case a fish needs to be cooked up for breakfast. She used it to fry up fish that we would catch before breakfast back when I was a child. Memories make the moment even more special.

Sagebrusher

Many years ago when rooting around India, back when the city was called Dehli, I brought home a set of copper skillets and matching pots & pans.
Solid copper and as heavy as cast iron, nice and thick.
Them were the best cooking crockery I ever seen before and since.
X-wife stole them in the divorce......B****!!
Old copper skillets from India? I bet they would be worth some dough now!

jason

fear no beer
A well seasoned Griswold is a thing of beauty :)
I search all the time at yard sales, and either people here do not care for them and do not have them, or will not part with them. Either that or someone is getting out there earlier then I am. Not really sure which other then when I ask if they have any for sale I get strange looks of why would you want to buy them?.

jason

fear no beer
My mother loved her cast iron skillets, and that's about all she'd cook with, whether it was cornbread in the oven or fried potatoes on the stove. Well, she passed away last year, and I got her iron skillets. We're going camping in a few weeks, and I'm taking one of the skillets with me. I'm sure Momma will be looking down on me, saying "Don't burn them potatoes, son."
Well you do realize this means you have to report back after camping on if you burnt the potatoes.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I have several well seasoned cast iron pans. I use them for cooking nearly everything (acidic foods excepted). I wouldn't consider bringing them camping though, because of the weight. Even for car or canoe camping they are kind of heavy and bulky.

Waynefire

I have some cast iron pieces as well. They work great on an open fire and last for years! I know without this I would have constant problems in getting to have the pieces working for me.

shaun

I have been using the Teflon 'non-stick' pans for years now, they lose their non-stick after a few months and become unusable. I have finally decided to invest in a cast iron pan, I should have done it years ago!

Grandpa

Just remember, cast iron is pourous. Don't use soap to clean them or you'll have soapy omelets. We burn them clean and coat with a light vegetable oil after using to prevent rust. Check with manufacturers for proper cleaning and seasoning.

ponderosa

I use cast iron at home nearly every day. A smooth, slick cast iron skillet is hard to beat in the kitchen. I just use hot water and a soft dish scrubber for clean up usually; if more is needed, I boil some water in the pan until it will easily wipe clean. As Grandpa said, no soap, ever.

uday

That old iron skillet of yours must be your mama's treasure. It is good to see that the valuable thing has been passed on to good hands. Take care of it, SmokeyJoe.

Yhonny Yuma

I have a bunch of dutch and like cooking over the open fire in them they have a greater teast and the one I like best is over a hundered years old from my great mother skillet and boy it it seasoned just a touch of buter and nothing sticks that non stick junk wears off and you are eating it and at less Im getting my daily iron