Pack of raccoons mauls 74-year-old woman

jason

fear no beer
LAKELAND, Fla. - Animal control officers hope to trap a pack of raccoons that mauled a 74-year-old woman who tried to chase them from her yard.

The sheriff in Polk County, east of Tampa, said Gretchen Whitted fell when five raccoons surrounded and attacked her Sunday. She was taken to a hospital with extensive cuts from her neck to her legs.

"We're not talking about a lot of little bites here," Sheriff Grady Judd said. "She was filleted."

Pack of raccoons mauls 74-year-old woman - Life- msnbc.com

Foxyloxy

Wow, that's really crazy. I wonder if they were being so aggressive because they were in a big group. I always knew raccoons aren't as fearful as some other animals, but I didn't know they would be so openly aggressive.

firefly

I saw that on the news. They haven`t found the raccoons yet either. I felt so sorry for her when I saw that. I see a raccoon now and then but not very often. Unless we go camping.

Barney

Actually we have the same problem with a pack of dogs in our neighborhood. Authorities are refusing to take action in spite of the fact that people get bitten everyday by the same dogs from that pack. We are thinking about doing something ourselves. The leading dog is the smallest of them all, can you imagine that? But he is also the most evil one. He never approaches any man closer than 50 yards, unless he decides to attack him together with other dogs. Some idiots leave them food all the time. Maybe it would be wise to do something about those morons too.

happycamper

I did not know raccoons would attack. I wonder if they have rabies. I thought that is the only time they became aggressive. My goodness! If I was that poor lady, I would not want to leave my house.

Bushman

Its bad enough when animals attack, but when the animal or animals in question are smart and have thumbs that makes it worst.

I suppose any animal can become aggressive under the right circumstances, but I have not ever heard of raccoons openly attacking someone.

Christie

Well, now I feel a bit more justified in my fear of these animals. They've always freaked me out a bit, they're smart and I always heard they were mean. What's with cartoons always portraying these creatures as cute and friendly?