Pulled Over On Your Bike?

Bwana

Anyone get pulled offer by police on your bike? One of the guys from the bike club said he has tried speeding in a 25mph zone. Another said he got pulled over a few times at night because his light was not working.

greengrass

Uh-oh! I would think that if you're speeding, whether it's in a car or a scooter or a kid's big wheel, then you have a good chance of being pulled over. I've heard of people being ticketed for speeding while riding many different things, not just in a car!

jason

fear no beer
I've never been pulled over, but I'm not that fast. A few times I've had the main light on the front of the bicycle go out, but I was within a few miles from home.

Reese

Seriously! I have never heard of someone getting ticketed for riding too fast on a bike! I can understand the light or not riding in the proper areas, but the speed thing is too much.

2coastcamper

In all 50 states, you can get speeding tickets if you're going too fast on your bike. When you're on a bike, you have to follow ALL the same rules as a car. Also, you can get a ticket for riding your bike drunk. In some states, you can get an actual DUI. In other (most) states, they'll give you any number of alcohol-related tickets, including public intoxication.

Be careful.

lovelife

This is so funny! I guess I can see that speeding is speeding, but how funny to see someone get pulled over on their bike. I say good for them if they are able to get their bike going that fast:)

Lovefall

You mean a bicycle? Wow- no! I ride all over too but I've never been pulled over on my bike. Then again I don't go near the speed limit, most times I just poke along.

fuzzybear

In AZ we must follow all traffic laws In Tucson you must have a light in front & back for after dark. Unfortunatly, a helmet in not mandatory.
NOTE - If you need a helmet, check with your local hospital. Many provide them FREE of charge.
At the El Tour De Tucson, some of the hospitals were giving away red blinking refectors.
Hey, they would rather not see you in the ER!

Hayley

No, never, because I am very cautious and aware when biking. I have seen some racing along without regard for kids or animals who could pull out at any second. I believe in ticketing.

le Metis

Never pulled over for speeding on a bike, but came close to being arrested by a nutjob of a CHP officer for riding a mountain bike on pavement....this same officer would cite Emergency units responding to fires, or medical emergencies for speeding.....

Starling

I've also never heard of someone being ticketed for riding fast on a bike. I know that the police can determine how fast you drive, but really, how can you determine that when you ride a bike? It depends on the place though. If bikes are on roads and even highways for some reason, hell yes they should be pulled over if they are obstructing traffic!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I had a police officer in Chicago try to pull me over for speeding once. The operative word in that last sentence is "try". What she forgot was that a bicycle will go almost anywhere. A squad car will not.

Navigator

I was pulled over while I was working as a bike courier in Washington DC in the late '70s for running a stop light (I didn't come to a full stop before turning right). I did'nt have a driver's license or any other ID which really pissed off the cop, but in the end he let me go with a stern lecture. You know, I really miss those days...

YogiBear

I haven't heard of anyone getting pulled over on a bicycle because they don't ride alot where I am from. I have however heard about a guy getting pulled over on his lawn mower for a DUI and he was going to the store for more beer.

BTBoop

LoL @ YogiBear. I have often wondered if they could pull the older people over on their lil carts or scooters that they ride. I almost got hit by one the other day walking and have seen him riding on the road or in the bike lane before.