Refugees from Backpacker(dot)com assemble

TDale

If y'all wonder what this is about...Backpacker just "upgraded" their forum software and aborted a decent community. This is a place we've used before as backup and may now become a new home for some of us. Hope we can add to the community here.

HikingMike

Hey TDale... I had forgotten that I had a login for this forum as well. Hate what has happened to BP.com but their wounds are self inflicted. Facebook is okay, but they haven't got the forum format that we all liked. Anyway, this is retired_reddog from BP.com's forums.

vinovampire

The Backpacker Forums are an... abomination.

These forums seem well designed, easy to navigate, and have pretty much all the futures one would hope for in a forum. Also, the various forums here seem to cover some interesting topics.

Thanks for recommending this place TDale. I hope Backpacker works out all of the issues with their site, but this place seems pretty great.

ponderosa

Oh! I almost forgot to mention, but there was a software update here in June, and a move to a new server last week, and remarkably, the site did not crash and burn. A few minor bugs were worked out within a day, no content was lost, functions were preserved or improved. Seamless. Almost like someone actually cared about maintaining the community. So that's a bonus.

vinovampire

Oh! I almost forgot to mention, but there was a software update here in June, and a move to a new server last week, and remarkably, the site did not crash and burn. A few minor bugs were worked out within a day, no content was lost, functions were preserved or improved. Seamless.
That's funny. I thought I learned from the Backpacker experience that a big change like that would require losing that last 10 months of posts... :Faint:

Hopefully this is my last post here about that nonsense. This place does seem nice and cozy.

Red_Dog

Elev 2,180'
Wow, apparently it has been 3 years since I have been here.
I wonder if that Judy Ann woman is still around ?
She seemed to like me.
But that was 3 years ago.

Cappy

Welcome you guys,:Welcome: This forum is always slow in the heat of the summer and you will be a welcome addition. Please take a lil friendly advice though. The name of this joint aint back pack it's outdoors. Much broader topic base and lots of folks like me that is too old chubby and decrepit to tote a pack and now has my adventures from boat and camper. Also outdoors aint necessarily an epic adventure but can be just firing up the bbq or fire pit in your yard. Try not to be too critical(some have been) and you will have a ball. There are several old coots like me here with hundreds of years of combined experience and willing to share.

Hikin Mike

Walkin' Like a Penquin Now
I'm here....finally. I never got the confirmation e-mail (twice), so Jason activated mt account by hand. I like the format, one of my photography sites uses it too.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Welcome, peeps. I've been here off and on since the BP forums crash. Good people here and something for everyone. And no TPA nonsense.

Between Facebook and here, I don't think I'll even try to get on the forums.

TDale

Cappy, don't you worry about us! We do all manner of outdoor things. This time of year one of our big topics is SEC football. We have MAJOR fishing freaks, cooks galore, car campers, kayakers, and just good people that love all things outdoors. If you see that eyebp guy, ban him. Just kidding, he's a great guy. If any of the clowns bring their politics, ban them. NOT kidding.

jason

fear no beer
If y'all wonder what this is about...Backpacker just "upgraded" their forum software and aborted a decent community. This is a place we've used before as backup and may now become a new home for some of us. Hope we can add to the community here.
Welcome back. I took a look over there and found it, well, interesting. I am kind of surprised they went with wordpress and what looks like the buddypress add-on for it. I like wordpress for articles, but when it comes to fourms I just could not see doing it.

I find it interesting timing as another website just made a big switch on forum software. This one was geared towards webmasters and it seems to be a big flop to most that I know.

jason

fear no beer
Oh! I almost forgot to mention, but there was a software update here in June, and a move to a new server last week, and remarkably, the site did not crash and burn. A few minor bugs were worked out within a day, no content was lost, functions were preserved or improved. Seamless. Almost like someone actually cared about maintaining the community. So that's a bonus.
I did a software test for about a month before switching, not including previous conversions of smaller sites. Then it was another two months to work out bugs on the server move.

Still got bugs to work out. The welcome e-mails did not seem to be going out. Hopefully that is now fixed. There are some other little things to work out. Then its time to work on the articles. And the forum software just released a a new upgrade to that includes some back end stuff for me, and some newer stuff like selective quoting, poll improvements, online status updates.