Rifle recommendations for a small framed female

southerngal

I am looking for a rifle to call my very own so I can go hunting with my husband this year. I am only 5 ft tall about 130lbs. What kind of rifle would you recommend? My husband has suggested possibly looking at some of the youth models?

jason

fear no beer
What will you be hunting? I know there are tons of models of .22 that would fit you.

southerngal

We will probably mostly be hunting for deer and maybe turkeys when they come back in season. He hasn't mentioned anything else we might be after yet!

jason

fear no beer
You will most likely be looking at a youth model. I would take a look at your local Savage or Remington dealer. They would be able to fit you for your gun.

southerngal

Thanks Jason we actually have a local Remington dealer in town. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to go check some out and maybe be able to find one just for me!

BrittanyG

I'm curious as to what model you chose. I'm also on the small side and feel more comfortable with a youth model.

Gary

My wife shoots a remington youth model 7mm-08, it is not too long and doesn't kick. the caliber is a necked down .308 and is good for any deer with good range and knock down power. You will be very satisfied with this gun. Good luck

Gary

Try a remington youth model 7mm-08, it i a very good gun. My wife is 110 lbs and has no problem shooting it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
All good advice. Here's my two cents.

If you're small stick to smaller calibers. 5.6mm, 7mm or .243 and .270.
Get fitted to the rifle. When you pick it up and take it to your cheek it should be easy and feel good. The grip should fit your hand. Your trigger finger should, fully extended, rest on the leading edge of the trigger guard. When you slide your finger back the tip of your finger should find the trigger. Make sure you can work the safe easily without looking at it.
Shoot the gun before you buy it. Too much recoil will make you not want to shoot it. Trigger pull is also very important. Too much weight will ruin your accuracy because you will pull your shots. Squeeze the trigger, don't pull it. When your rifle fires it should surprise you. This allows you to keep on the target.
Fit the scope to your eye. Try a number of scopes. When you pick up the right one, you'll know.
Lastly but very importantly, the rifle should be easy to heft. It should feel light in your hands. Trust me, it will get heavier the further you have to carry it.

Good luck and good hunting.

MR "T"

I'm 5' 6", w short arms! I cut the length of pull down to 12 1/2" on all of my rifles!
Some come from the store@ 14+"(tall people)!
Better a little short, than Too long!

CRhoads

I would have to agree with Dinosaur. A .223 (5.56mm), a .243, or even a 30-06 would be best suited for a woman of your size. Anything bigger than that will be overkill for your shoulder. My wife is roughly the same size and she won't even touch the two rifles I shoot. A Savage .270 and a Remington 7mm magnum, but I'm 5'11" and 218lbs!

Stevealb

Steve Albers
There are quite a few options for ladies and smaller framed persons. The youth guns are shorted and fit for youngsters and smaller ladies. My suggestions would be .243, 7mm-08 or .260. These calibers shoot a heavy enough bullet to take deer size game with no problem. Shot placement is very critical, especially when shooting lighter bullets so practice is a must. Hope this has helped some. Good luck and happy hunting.

greensteelforge

My girlfriend is about your size, and uses a shortened 1903 A3 springfield in .35 Whelen. It's a clean killer, and has more of a pushing recoil than the sharp punch of most high-power rounds. As long as you do the work to learn proper shooting technique, there is no round too big for you to handle, and this one isn't all that big. I always recommend medium-bore rounds for big game (generally .35 to .40), since they operate comfortably within the accurate shooting range of most hunters, and give you a little "fudge-factor" in your shot-placement. Lots of people like to talk about how they never take a bad shot, and always make clean kills with small calibers, but it has not been my experience, and I've hunted with lots of these people, tracked their wounded deer for them, and heard all about how it wasn't their fault. Hunting never presents a perfect shot, so I don't recommend that anyone plan on it. Make sure you use enough gun. I'll note that the deer where you live may not be as large as the deer where I live. Our average adult deer runs in the high 100 lbs to the low 200 lbs.

patonyk

I have 3 daughters and my wife all shoot 243's My wife also shoots my ruger 270 stainless. Nef youth model 243 single shot for my oldest daughter. She shoots groups under 3/4 of an inch. She is only 5 foot. My middle daughter and youngest both shoot Rossi youth single shots. My wife is 5'4" and does well with a 243 or a 270. I would not go bigger than a 270. There really is no need. As far as power in the 243 I killed my first pa black bear with a 95 grain ballistic tip and countless number of deer. The bear weighed 348 lbs. Practice and proper shots are a must. 1 shot 1 kill.

zach

my girl friend shoots a rugar compact .243 and she has had good luck with it , she dont know but i use it when i dont feel like lugging around the .300 win mag lol

skippyb1

My wife uses a .243 with an 85 grain triple shock bullet. she has a bushnell banner scope on it with a circle x reticle. that scope i use on my muzzleloader and rifle. She gun she uses is a remington youth model buckmaster edition and it's has a camo stock. this gun shoots excellent usually bullet in bullet or at least touching holes. great gun to use.