Safety from hunters

Charlene

I love trekking, but I live in an area where hunting is widespread. My concern is being hit by a stray bullet from someone out hunting. How can I know for sure that there are no hunters where I'm hiking?

jason

fear no beer
The biggest thing is wearing bright colors, yellow and orange. Make yourself be seen. Some people will even make noise as they hike. I used to go through the woods as a kid during hunting season, even came across a few hunters here and there. But I was never shot at.

deb60

I agree with Jason, always wear bright colors. You should never hike on someone's property without asking (they will tell you if there are hunters there). I would also stay out of the woods during any type of hunting season.

Greenjack

Yeah that's right. The point is making yourself be seen like Jason said. I am not sure about making noise though. Don't you think it scares the preys and annoys the hunters?

wildmonger

Old-not-bold member
Yes, hunting is always a problem in the fall. All up and down the East, and in large areas of the West as well.
Public trails are good places to be, as hikers belong there and the hunters know it. On private land, assume some jerk is going to be up in a tree stand where you can't see him. The biggest problem with hunters, is . . . other hunters.
Hike in larger groups also, because groups make a lot of noise. Otherwise, just think of hunters as other people who appreciate the out of doors, the same as you, but have lethal weapons which they like to fire off several times a day.

peanut

Bright orange is a must during many times of the year - not just the fall. You don't want to take a chance and end up being caught in someone's scope.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I don't hike too much during hunting season, but when I do, I wear a bright orange safety vest and I tend to stay on the trail and out in the open as much as possible. There are also many provincial and regional parks here in which it is illegal to hunt, so there are no shortage of trails to hike during bang bang.

I also like to go out and hunt a bit myself so I am aware of tendencies and techniques used locally and I do my best to not appear deer-like :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Two Rivers

I myself am a hunter. During that time of year, I'm enjoying my outdoor experience hunting. Hunting is a part of what made America, Hiking on the other hand is a new comer. The perfect outdoor activity for those who do thier hunting at the super market. Respect the tradition.

IndianaHiker

Wasn't aware that hunting made America, and was such a great tradition that I need to respect it. I will respect your right to hunt but don't see where it is an American tradition anymore than it is in any county. Hunting has been around as long as man has been and was not a sport but something man did to survive before he learned to grow food and domesticate animals. Take aside the only purpose that hunting new serves is to control the population of certain species and really isn't needed for survival. As far as hunting being a sport maybe for some game but not deer. Where I live in Southern Indiana the deer are so thickly populated if you go into the woods with a gun it would be hard not to get one. The only situation I see where that isn't the case is where the hunter is just looking for a big trophy buck. Don't see much sense in killing an animal for a trophy personally but hey what ever floats your boat.

No I am not a Green Peace wannabe and really don't care if you hunt. However I am not going out of my way to show the "Hunt" any my respect than you show my "Hike" respect. You are correct that they are both outdoor experiences and are great recreation and that being said both backpackers and hunter need to respect each other. I as a backpacker will wear orange. I am going out this week for a 3 day solo trip on the Knobstone Trail.

To respect you hunt I am doing the following:
1. Wearing orange. I have orange hat and orange vest.
2. Staying on the trail. This should make me more visible and not disturb the game you are after as much as going cross county.

No that I am taking steps to "Respect" your hunt ask that you do the follow to "Respect" my hike.

Follow simple firearm safety rules:
1. Don't shoot until you have identified your target.

2. Know what is beyond you'r target and know that the area is clear. Remember you round does travel a good distance and is still lethal.

3. Be sober. No drugs or alcohol or drugs when using firearms. Unfortunately another tradition around here is taking a bottle out along to the hunt to keep warm. This doesn't keep you warm and leads to people getting killed by stupid accident.

Yes I have placed more responsibility on the hunter than the backpacker. I as a backpacker have elected not to carry a tool into the woods that is capable of killing or injuring another. Part of using said tool is using it in a responsible manner.

With that in mid you enjoy you'r hunt and your meat that you take home. I will stay in the woods and enjoy my three day hike and my vegetarian dinners and sleeping under the stars.

paloma

As the others said, wearing bright colors when hiking, even when it's not hunting season, just to be sure that other people will be able to recognize you as a human being walking in the vicinity.

dinosaur

troublemaker
IndianaHiker, well said! And, I am a hunter. The problem with hunters is that some are true amateurs. They get too excited and shoot at anything that moves. I hunt twelve months a year, am always certain of my target, and very seldom buy meat. I also believe in respecting the rights of others. That's what made this country.

Michael

I take a few simple precautions.

First and foremost, don't hike where there are likely to be hunters during a time when it's legal for them to hunt. They need to restrict themselves to a relatively short period of the year. It's not a terrible inconvenience to restrict my hikes to places or times they aren't allowed to hunt. I can always hike in a park or on a Sunday.

Second, don't look or sound like an animal they're hunting. Talk on the trail. Wear colours that don't appear on game animals. Stay on a trail if there's any doubt about whether it's safe.

I haven't gotten shot yet, and I hope to continue this trend.

IndianaHiker

Yes that is very ture Dinosaur. I have amny friends in law enforcement who tell the same story. Almost all hunting accidents involve someone being very stupid and or acholol.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
...Take aside the only purpose that hunting new serves is to control the population of certain species and really isn't needed for survival.
I hunt for 2 reasons. 1 is economic - it saves on the grocery bill, and 2 - I detest store-bought meat with all the preservatives, hormones, and color enhancers that it is tainted with. When we buy meat it's from a local free-range organic butcher with good legacy. The more natural food sources I have, the better. Same thing goes for veggies. We buy from local organic growers that do not use pesticides.

Don't see much sense in killing an animal for a trophy personally but hey what ever floats your boat.
I agree.

No I am not a Green Peace wannabe and really don't care if you hunt. However I am not going out of my way to show the "Hunt" any my respect than you show my "Hike" respect. You are correct that they are both outdoor experiences and are great recreation and that being said both backpackers and hunter need to respect each other. I as a backpacker will wear orange. I am going out this week for a 3 day solo trip on the Knobstone Trail.

To respect you hunt I am doing the following:
1. Wearing orange. I have orange hat and orange vest.
2. Staying on the trail. This should make me more visible and not disturb the game you are after as much as going cross county.

No that I am taking steps to "Respect" your hunt ask that you do the follow to "Respect" my hike.

Follow simple firearm safety rules:
1. Don't shoot until you have identified your target.

2. Know what is beyond you'r target and know that the area is clear. Remember you round does travel a good distance and is still lethal.

3. Be sober. No drugs or alcohol or drugs when using firearms. Unfortunately another tradition around here is taking a bottle out along to the hunt to keep warm. This doesn't keep you warm and leads to people getting killed by stupid accident.

Yes I have placed more responsibility on the hunter than the backpacker. I as a backpacker have elected not to carry a tool into the woods that is capable of killing or injuring another. Part of using said tool is using it in a responsible manner.

With that in mid you enjoy you'r hunt and your meat that you take home. I will stay in the woods and enjoy my three day hike and my vegetarian dinners and sleeping under the stars.
Well said.

IndianaHiker

I take a few simple precautions.

First and foremost, don't hike where there are likely to be hunters during a time when it's legal for them to hunt. They need to restrict themselves to a relatively short period of the year. It's not a terrible inconvenience to restrict my hikes to places or times they aren't allowed to hunt. I can always hike in a park or on a Sunday.

Second, don't look or sound like an animal they're hunting. Talk on the trail. Wear colours that don't appear on game animals. Stay on a trail if there's any doubt about whether it's safe.

I haven't gotten shot yet, and I hope to continue this trend.
I haven't been shot at yet and hope it stays that way this weekend. However I will not limit myself to say hikes. In the area that I live in Southern Indiana there are very limited trails that are longer than 6-8 miles. Just so happens that I don't care nearly as much for day hikes as I do spending a couple of nights in the woods backpacking. Yes I could car camp but I hate doing that. So my options are to stay home or go when I want to as all of the good places to hike around that allow for multiple days are on public land. With this in mind I am going and will use common sense. I hope the hunters out there are doing the same.

Chary

Wearing bright colors helps, but sadly there are always some nuts that just shoot when they see a movement. They don't wait to identify what is making the movement. I grew up in Arizona and it was not uncommon for innocent people to be shot during hunting season.

rdowns

If you are fortunate to have National Park nearby go there. Hunting generally forbidden there unless the park service itself has contacted with professional hunters for some reason.

Erwin

If your are that scared of being hit by a stray bullet stay out of the woods at the most common times (dawn and an hour before dusk) and wear bright colors as others have mentioned. I would personally just find a different spot to hike or just go for a walk in less wooded areas during the hunting season.

td_porter

Everyone should be able to enjoy the great outdoors, and we all have equal rights in doing so. A hiker has just as much right to explore as the hunter. Make sure you wear lots of blaze orange, as you'll be readily visible if you come across any hunters. I always pay attention to detail and know whats around me when I hunt, but not everyone pays attention when looking down the barrel.