spelunking beginner

robbier

My cousin wants to start spelunking and so I thought I'd get her a gift for Christmas that she could use. Any ideas about what is needed for someone who is just starting out?

jason

fear no beer
A hardhat, with a place to mount a headlight would be great. A lock blade knife, water containers, maybe some good socks. Knee pads are something else that comes to mind. Maybe even a camera. Gloves. I am sure there are some specific equipment geared towards spelunking, like special ropes and such, but I cannot think of any names right now.

Shanna

OM Goodness, I could never, ever go into a cave. I keep thinking about the movie "The Descent". I know it was just a movie but thinking about being down there with no light but what I brought with me just creeps me out. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Gondor

This always sounded like a great idea to me. Although I'm a little scared of confined space, but I think it would be exciting nevertheless.

Barney

A hardhat, with a place to mount a headlight would be great. A lock blade knife, water containers, maybe some good socks. Knee pads are something else that comes to mind. Maybe even a camera. Gloves. I am sure there are some specific equipment geared towards spelunking, like special ropes and such, but I cannot think of any names right now.
My feelings exactly although I'm not an expert on this subject but those seem like a reasonable advice. We here don't have some good sites for spelunking. :(