Spirit Carvings

hummingbird

I have a friend who does "spirit carvings". He carves old faces in trees for a living. It's amazing what he can do. I've seen several that he has done and they are simply amazing. I've been wanting to learn from him but I don't know if I would have the skill to do it. He said it's just practice but I think you also have to have an eye for things like this.

Ilovelife

It doesn't hurt to ask. Like anything, practice makes perfect. You could always try it and if you find out you don't like it you can at least say you have done it.

Mary Beth

I think it takes special talent to carve faces out of wood. He was probably just being modest. I tried to carve wood, a long time ago, and only cut my finger.

Camoguy

I've seen these things. They are gorgeous! I would love to have one for my family room. I've seen them ever size from a small tabletop to a large waist height figure. I would want one of the larger ones.

Freebird11

History of the Wood Spirit
Wood spirit carving has been part of European folklore for centuries. The tradition dates back to the Germans who carved faces in the trees of the Black Forest to mark their boundries.
After emigrating to America, they continued the practice in furniture making and other handcrafts.
The "Tree Spirit" faces are supposed to bring you luck!

ejdixon

It won't hurt to give it a try, hummingbird. Go on ahead and ask him. I'm not sure about doing it on trees on random, though. You might get arrested for vandalism. Good luck!

Hope you can upload some pics here. I'm really curious to see.