Starter logs

Pumpy

How many people here use starter logs for their campfire? If you use a starter log does that mean that you can not cook over the fire (chemicals and all that)?

Seven

When I use a started log I do not cook over the fire. As for is it safe I am unsure. I use my portable grill most the time.

HikerChick

I've never used a starter log for a campfire, only for my fireplace at home. I've never had to consider cooking over a starter-log fire, so I guess I can't really help you there.

MendyUSA

I choose a stove. Easier, cleaner,no problem in rain and it covers your butt if theres a fire ban. Although starting a fire in rain is doable using a fire starter (in essence a little chunk of a fire log) makes it easier. It will burn itself gone shortly after the wood ignites so chemicals shouldn't be a factor.

le Metis

No, never use them. If it's wet, and I need a fire I'll look for a down cedar to strip the bark from the dry underside. Rubbing it briskly will break down the fibers producing a nice tender bundle. Additionally, I look for pine rosin, and dry cones for an additional assit....

Pumpy

I see, I wonder how long it takes for the chemicals to fully burn away so that you can cook food over it that is safe to eat. How quickly do fire logs burn away?

Chary

Never used one before. If find it much easier to use a little bit of paper, some small pieces of dry wood and a match. Then I can use my fire for whatever I want to without worrying about it. I don't care much for all this chemical stuff.

jason

fear no beer
I have always been taught not to use a starter log, or the quick starter kits for a cooking fire. So it has stuck to me.

trbird

I've used starter logs. I usually don't use a whole starter log, rather just a couple of pieces, enough to get a fire started. I know I'm lazy, but what's it matter in camp right? Anyway, if you wait long enough the starter log is burned up and no more worries about chemicals. We usually boil our water over a fire this way for camp coffee. Some cooking is done in/around the camp fire, like roast 'neers or baked potatoes, but the rest of the cooking done in camp is with a coleman stove or a dutch over with hot coals either by the campfire or on a grill.