Summersville Lake, WV (large photos)

Newanderthal

We took a quick Spring Break trip up to Summersville Lake. I've driven over the bridge on US-19 about a million times and whenever I looked down at the sheer bluffs and clear water I always told myself I'd go there. Last week I finally did just that.

We got a cabin (Laurel Cabins) about 2 miles from the lake and spent three days hiking and canoeing, mostly canoeing. Despite the unseasonably cold weather we had a great tie on the water. It was 21 degrees on the lake the second day out. That might seem too cold for spring break, but as it turned out, it was the perfect temp. Without the freezing weather, I wouldn't have had the opportunity for some of the photos I took away from that place. Also, if it had been warmer, we wouldn't have had the lake to ourselves for three days.

MORE DETAILS AND PHOTOS HERE!

wvbreamfisherman

Beautiful pics! You caught the lake at winter pool, too. It's a nice big lake, but crowded in the warmer weather with powerboats, and that invention of Satan, the jetski.

TakeAHike

That looks like a beautiful trip to make. I am sure you had a lot of fun. We have lots of nice lakes around us and we try to make a point of hitting them all as much as we can. We went to the falls a few hours from us last summer and we rented a canoe to go through them. That was a blast.