Take the pooch, or leave it home?

hikinboot

How do you stand on this subject? Do you take the pooch camping and hiking with you, or opt to leave it home? Why do you make that decision?

mccallum

Dog(s) go along. It will be fun this summer as we added a pup to the family last October and that pup is now 50 plus pounds so we need to figure a place for him and the 12 pounder to sleep. As for why; cheaper than the vet; they are family; and they are just plan fun to have around! Bear the 50 pounder walks with me or take me on walks daily. The 12 pounder is a home body and is really not sure what to make of the weekend in the woods.

Judy Ann

Something about watching kids and their dogs play in the water at the foot of a waterfall, or perhaps the four-legged one sitting proudly keeping any eye out for their family while they enjoy a picnic somewhere off the beaten path, or observing an old dog and an old man hiking the AT together, both maybe a little less spry than a decade before that just makes one smile. They are loyal and take in everything in that goes on around the camp. An extra set of eyes to watch over the small ones and all those you love and care about. They have your back too.

As already mentioned they are fun to have around and the money saved by not boarding is a plus too. Please leave them at home if they are not well behaved, dangerous to others especially little children, or if you are not planning on picking up after them.

Judy Ann

He probably sleeps with one foot on it cause he looks like he's not about to miss a minute of fun!

IndianaHiker

Don't have any dogs at the moment but would say by all means take them with you. IF the dog is well behaved and socialized they are a joy to have with you and they also enjoy the outdoors. Gives them a chance to be a "dog" again.

hikinboot

I agree. I think it is second nature for a dog to be in the woods, in the wild. I always take mine with me too, he loves it. He sees me with a backpack and he is right there.

HikingGuy

I don't go anywhere without my dogs, all 3 of them. They get very angry at me if I leave them home. I think, like other's have said, my pooches sleep with my hiking gear, they know when it is home or not.

ChadTower

Extra extra emphasis on so long as your dog isn't going to bother reasonable people that don't have dogs. Can't tell you how many times I've been next to a family that had more dogs than allowed on the site and marginal control over them. I like dogs as much as the next guy but don't have any and don't want to listen to them bark all day or sit at the edge of my campsite glaring at me.

mccallum

I did not say this in my orginal post but will here LEASH LAW! Whether or not there is one where you are act like there is. I know your dog is trained to stay at your side; please keep it on a leash and keep it with in 6 feet of you. I do not need your dog visiting mine while you think your well train K9 is at your side!

This rant comes from a discussion on a facebook page I was a part of where I was told that this person had trained their dog and it was well trained and would not move out of the "heel" position; do not know about her dog but I know a lot of "well trained" dogs that well "ain't as well trained as the owner/trainer thinks" and I would include both of my lovable mutts in that ain't as well trained as you think" group, or maybe I just know that a dog can always forget what it's been trained to do!?!

Last edited:

hikinboot

I think leash laws have their reasoning. If the dogs are left to run loose it could be dangerous to other dogs as well as other people.

Sophia

You should take your dog's disposition into consideration. If your dog is aggressive, why would you want to subject people or even the dog to that? Unless you are going alone and need your dog for protection, leave it at home!

hikinboot

I have gone on organized hikes and most they allow dogs, but they are required to be socialized and fixed. There are some hikes where they will not allow dogs, depends on the severity of the hike.

hikinboot

That made me think of my dog, he just woke me up barking because he was hungry and apparently it was time to get up for the day.

overtheridge

Nope, our pets stay home. We have a neighbor come and check on them and feed them. If we are gone for a week then they go stay at my folks house. I don't like taking them with us, it's just one more thing to have to worry about.

Susie

If at all possible I take my dogs with me. If I were to leave them behind, they would feel like they are being punished. Besides, they add so much to the experience.

Grandpa

When I go doggone too.
Okay, bad pun, sorry
Each trip has to be analyzed whether he gets to go or not. He can only carry 4-5 days food so anything longer he stays. National Parks won't let him hike so he can't go there.
If I'm meeting friends some distance away that is going to require motels, he has to stay home.