The oldest trekker

boomerang

I admire people who are really dedicated to their outdoor hobbies especially trekking, so that they would likely "die on the site". :) How old is the oldest trekker you know or you ever met on the trails?

CFlyer

My grandfather is a farmer and he walks to his farm one mile away from home everyday. He is already 75 years old and he still can walk faster than me. I guess walking everyday will keep fit whatever age you may have.

boomerang

That's a very good habit of your grandfather. Yes, being a low impact exercise, walking is suitable for everyone of every age, especially for aged people who don't usually get into vigorous exercise anymore.

greengrass

If I remember right the oldest I ever came across is a woman who was in her late 70s. She was hiking up a mountain ahead of us about 5 years ago. I've thought about her a few times since, wondering if she is still hiking.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t This just brought back a funny memory.

My wife and I were riding our bikes in the back country some years back and we were dismounted, pushing our bikes up a really steep incline about a half mile long. At the time we were both in pretty good shape but this hill, combined with our packs was too much for us.

I looked back and could see another rider coming up the hill behind us and I remember saying something to my wife along the lines of "we'll see how long that person can ride this hill before they too have to dismount. Well, as the rider approached, we could see that they had no intention of dismounting and that they must have been some kind of athlete or something to be able to just pound straight up this incline the way they were. We were both pretty amazed.

The real kicker is that when the rider was close enough for us to get a good look, here it was this little old granny - she had to be damn near 80 years old! As she passed us she simply nodded and said something along the lines of "How-ju-doo" and with just a hint of a smile she kept right on going and left us huffing and puffing on that darn hill.

My wife and I looked at each other and just burst out laughing. You can't prepare for something like this happening - middle of the wilderness and absolutely owned on a steep hill by someone's great gramma.

I will never forget that!

jason

fear no beer
I see a lot of older people on the paths here. But our paths are usually wide and open, and the age is generally older where I live.

And to add to northernbushape story. There is an old couple in my neighborhood that are always on their bicycles. I think that is all they do is ride. You see them everywhere. I saw them the other day, and had the thought of how strong their legs must be.

Lookaround

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
The real kicker is that when the rider was close enough for us to get a good look, here it was this little old granny - she had to be damn near 80 years old! As she passed us she simply nodded and said something along the lines of "How-ju-doo" and with just a hint of a smile she kept right on going and left us huffing and puffing on that darn hill.
LOL That's really an amazing experience. I cannot imagine to mountain bike, riding such an incline at that age. I have no good mountain biking skills, but I am really fond of trekking.