Thunderstorms

SpencerT

What do you if a thunderstorm rolls in and you are camping with a tent? Do you stay inside your tent or quickly try to pack it up and get the both of you inside the car or truck? I guess if there are indoor facilities you can keep dry there, but what if there isn't any? What do you guys do when you get stuck in a storm?

Judy Ann

Hey SpencerT, I always set up my tent away from rivers or creeks where flooding could suddenly happen and check overhead for dead branches that could fall just in case a bad storm rolls in. I always stake the tent and figure I'm prepared if I hear thunder, rain or see lightening. When it happens (and it usually does) I quickly zip up the vestibules and stay put. My tent has withstood tropical storms with high winds and hard rain, and hail in the mountains. If my dog gets a little scared I've been known to pull her under the covers and put my hand over her eyes and tell her it's ok. After that first tropical storm I learned to sleep well during a thunderstorm.

ponderosa

I have good tents, and LOVE being out in rain and snow storms. I love being warm, dry, and cozy but still feeling close to the storm, with just a little mesh and nylon between me and the weather. It would be a different story if I didn't trust my gear.

IndianaHiker

I don't carry a tent any longer but use just a tarp. Offers good rain protection and due to the fact its open at both ends and both sounds stays cool in the rain as it still vents. The tarp is 8x10 so it is big enough to stay dry under it. So have used it in some pretty good thunder and lightning storms.

calanta

We have tried to stand the rain out and also pack up to run off. Both come with fun experiences so why not just enjoy them? Its only water after all. That is a nice looking tarp, where did you get it?

Lamebeaver

I'm a backpacker, so running to the car is not an option.

You obviously want to avoid pitching your tent on top of a hill, or at the bottom of a gully. I also try to make sure I don't pitch my tent near the taller trees in the area.

I also sleep on a big agnes air-core pad, which insulates me from the ground. I would not advise standing in the rain, as this could be more dangerous than staying in your tent.

Being in a tent in a thunderstorm is actually kind of cool. I love it!

Last edited:

firedancer

Being in a tent in a thunderstorm is actually kind of cool. I love it!
I agree! Last summer I was on a river trip where we were camped on a sandbar (no trees, no shelter, etc) and a big storm rolled in around 5am - we just waited out the storm in our tents - it was pretty exciting and sometimes sounded like the lightning was right on top of us. The only other option would have been to pack up and paddle out but getting out on the water in a lightning storm would have been foolish, possibly deadly.

IndianaHiker

We have tried to stand the rain out and also pack up to run off. Both come with fun experiences so why not just enjoy them? Its only water after all. That is a nice looking tarp, where did you get it?
Granite Gear White Lightning. Got mine at local shop just about anyone that sells Granite Gear will have it. If not Her is a link to the Granite Gear Site. I also have the dodger but have never used it yet. Great thing about it the 8x10 tarp is just 1 Lb.

Granite Gear Store

Qweetzy

That's pretty cool. I always take the tent out but I can understand the 1 pound being a better option and taking more food with me. I may have to try it. I try to ride it out. I have no option if I'm backpacking so I just hunker down and try to stay low to the ground. I agree with not pitching your tent on top the hill or in a gully. Many a camper has been washed of by being stupid with their campsite.

whitewater

A good tent should be able to withstand a brief thunderstorm. I do follow the advice to stay away from creeks and rivers just in case there is a flash flood.

outdoorchick

We have just stayed put as long as it's just a short storm. One time we did have to pack everything up in the rain because it just wouldn't let up and everyone and everything had gotten muddy and miserable.

Judy Ann

I don't carry a tent any longer but use just a tarp. Offers good rain protection and due to the fact its open at both ends and both sounds stays cool in the rain as it still vents. The tarp is 8x10 so it is big enough to stay dry under it. So have used it in some pretty good thunder and lightning storms.

What do you take with you in October when anything could happen including snow?

IndianaHiker

I will still use the tarp. If the trap will keep the rain off it will also keep the snow off. I keep warm by the sleep system not a tent. The reality of it a tent wont do much to keep you warm. The biggest warning factor of a tent is the wind block. The biggest things that help retain heat are the sleeping bag, a good base layer, and the sleeping pad.

With the 100 degrees we have been having I am looking forward to October at this point. can always add layers but can't do anything to stay cool/

Grandpa

Grandpa's back, minus about 4 quarts of blood robbed by teradactyl sized mosquitos. The only relief from the mosquitos was the rain and snow. Love sleeping in a rainstorm.

Indiana, there wouldn't have been enough deet in the country to protect us from the mosquitos under a tarp. I tarped only for many years but this trip the tent was a life saver. However, this thread is about rain. And rain or snow is not going to make me bail on a trip. In fact, I have hiked in to some high places ahead of a storm, just so I could get a winter picture of some of my favorite scenes after the storm was over.

Grandpa

Wind River Range in Wyoming, Indiana. It has been a long spring, the passes were still snow choked, the upper lakes still froze over and there was scattered drifts of old snow all through the timber. Ideal skeeter breeding weather. On a windy ridge, we may only have normal skeeter activity but in calm they swarmed by the zillions, (however many that is.) This was by far the worse any of us have ever seen. I once got into the meadows at Yellowstone too early and thought the skeeters were bad but this trip was even worse than that.

One of the guys showed up with a new gizmo called a thermacell that worked very well at keeping the critters at bay in camp, but that didn't help when we were on the trail. Those with nets just trapped the CO2 and the skeeters swarmed around their nets worse than ever.

IndianaHiker

Bet it was pretty up there even with the skeeters so bad. You all going to even get the snow melted off completely before it starts falling again.

Grandpa

The first and last snows of the year will probably overlap, lol. I'll post some pictures shortly. Yes, the Winds are always awesome, even with mosquitos.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I have quite a fear of lightning. Not a good thing for an avid camper. If I'm car camping I'll leave the tent up, but wait the storm out in the car.

If I'm backpacking or canoe camping and civilization is a long way off, I put my raincoat on, and leave the tent. First off the idea of sitting in a tent with aluminum poles bothers me. Second I feel better if I can see what is happening. I'll find a low area and squat there on the balls of my feet to limit contact with the ground.

When backpacking or canoe camping, if there is a chance of thunderstorms in the forecast I choose my campsite with that in mind. I'll ignore a site at a high elevation or an exposed one with a pretty view and look for one deeper in the woods with trees of a relatively even height. I'll also check out the nearby trees for limbs that may be ready to fall off in a wind.

We have tried to stand the rain out and also pack up to run off. Both come with fun experiences so why not just enjoy them? Its only water after all.

If it was only water it wouldn't bother me a bit. I've ridden out some heavy rains in a tent and have no problem with it. Lightning changes my tune completely.

Last edited: