To make a living

ramp

I hate the word "work". I notice that even a hobby we are fond the most will gives us less fun when we start doing it for work instead of for pleasure. Do you think fishing would still be fun if you did it to make a living?

jason

fear no beer
You know what is sad. My first thought of a professional fisherman is someone on a big boat with the nets, not a local guide. If I was a local guide, yeah, I guess it would still be fun. You would really have to love what you do though.

Adventurelover

I don't think I would enjoy fishing for a living. I would enjoy taking people out fishing on a boat though. I'm sure even if it is something you love it can be tedious at times.

LakeLady

I'm not sure I would enjoy fishing to make a living. Part of the fun of fishing is being able to relax. I love the fact that we can fish for as many hours or as few minutes as we like. If the fish are biting that's great, we'll hang around for awhile. If I'm not having much luck, that's okay, we'll just come back another day. One would most likely have a certain amount of time they would have to put in to earn a living at it and that might make it not so much fun anymore.

hummingbird

I don't think I would like to fish for a living. Or camp for that matter. I do know a lot of seniors who take jobs in various campgrounds as sort of "ambassadors" for the campground. They make a little extra money and get to camp for free. But they also have to take care of a lot of problems. I don't know if I would like that. People can be awfully stupid sometimes.

Lookaround

I wonder if you fished to make a living, what would you do to have fun, going to office? :D But being a local guide sounds enjoyable, even if you got paid for doing that. :)

cookielover

Anything can be fun if you put your mind to it, that's the difference between the sane people and those who go "postal" at their work place. Work just like life, is what you make of it.

Lookaround

That's a good point Cookie, I agree with that. Actually it is ourselves who can control and choose the way we do and enjoy our job. No job would be boring if we did it with love.

fresh

No I don't. For me, whenever any hobby of mine starts to have an external influence or pressure I tend to push it further and further away from myself. I still like it, but I like to do it for myself, not for another purpose.