Trails in colder weather.

BigBear

I have to admit that once the leaves are down from the trees I am less apt to go hitting the trails. Do you still do alot of trail walking once the colder weather hits?

crosscountry

I am not much of a cold weather hiker either but I do get out every once and awhile. I bundle up really, really well though.

Michael

I just went for a hike yesterday. There were so many leaves on the ground that several times we walked totally off the trail without even noticing.

I kind of like hikes when the leaves are down and once it's snowed. No one goes out on the trails, so you have them to yourself. Without the leaves, you can see all sorts of new, cool places you couldn't before. And all those trails you're used to look totally new, and you get to explore them again.

IndianaHiker

I go more after the weather cools. With the materials out there today no need to stop just for colder weather plenty of options to stay warm.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I am a huge fan of cool weather hiking. I do most of my scouting during the fall and spring when I can see greater distances in the forest - except during hunting windows - at which time I stick to the no hunting zones.

FeO2Man

My wife and I have two tricks to help us continue our hiking in the winter. We both hate cold weather! First, we make it a point to go for at least one hike per month, there better be a good excuse for going less than 3 miles! I admit we cheat, sometimes hiking in Arizona in January. We also hike the entire length of a local rail trail, in segments: out and back is 74 miles.

jason

fear no beer
I love hiking in the cooler weather. Something about the cook crisp air to me just screams of hiking.

Erwin

Yes, we enjoy going out in the cooler weather we just layer up our clothing. We don't do it as much in the extreme winter. We defiantly go a lot less than in the spring and summer but still some.

Peesalot

My husband and I enjoy winter hiking in the White Mountains. On a sunny winter day it's spectacular! We were on Carter Dome, 4,832' , with at least 4 feet of snow from a recent snowfall back last January and it was one of our best hikes! Snowshoes and micro spikes are the essentials in a winter pack. :tinysmile_twink_t:

Here are the photos:
Carter Dome 1.24.10 -

hikinboot

We have done some hiking in colder weather but I am not a big fan of walking in mud and snow without proper footwear and that is something I need to buy this season.

hikermom

I'm a newbie to this site but I just wanted to say that Fall and Winter hiking is the best. Just layer, layer, layer and strip, strip, strip when necessary.

ADK Ann

I love to get out and hike during the winter-usually on snowshoes since I live in the northern part of the USA. Once you are hiking, you are no longer cold-just layer your clothes since you will want to remove some. It helps that I belong to a club that has weekly outings-some snowshoe and some cross country skiing. We even climb small mountains on snowshoes.

Sylo

I love the fact that you don't have to worry so much about the bugs, snakes, scorpions, etc.

Hikermonleo

Winter hiking is fine and has its own beauty as long as it's not bitter cold and windy. Where I live (Connecticut) we don't have many big snowstorms and as long as there's no more than 6 inches or so on the ground there's no problem. As soon as we get started, the exercise warms us up.

oldsarge

I've heard some say they don't like hiking in poor weather, Then someone said there is no poor weather just poor clothing. I'm not a lover of the cold but I do enjoy it when the leaves are gone and I can see farther. Once it gets below 30º I tend to avoid the out doors. I agree, with today's clothing options there's plenty of light weight gear to keep you warm.

Awesome pictures Peesalot!