• Yes!

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • No.

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Urban_Camping

This is just an idea, I'm curious to see what y'all think. I know there is stuff like this out there but imagine an online community of campers and camping enthusiasts sharing camping spaces in an urban environments, cities and neighborhoods. Urban Camping, in the backyards of urban homes. People could hosts campers that rent their yards for short periods of time. The part that I think could really make an impact is, members can choose to donate a percent of their proceeds to national environmental preservation charities like the National Park Trust through the website. What do you think?

ponderosa

I may not represent the majority view, but I'm having a hard time imagining why anyone would want to hang out in a trailer in somebody's backyard, especially in the middle of town (or worse, the city). It seems to me that it would be awkward and just not fun.

I'm having even a harder time imagining why I'd want to let strangers hang out in my backyard.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Urban camping....NO. But in my own backyard? Yes, but I have a big back yard:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

CozInCowtown

Yeah, like I want a bunch of idiots and/or drunks in my back yard with the cops being called out by the neighbors on a nightly basis.
Definately a "No-Go" from me!!
JMO,
DC

Judy Ann

Uh... no. I'd be scared of getting mugged and I'm sure no one is going to want you peeing in their backyard. I've fallen asleep swinging in the hammock in the backyard in the evening more than once, but I wouldn't want strangers around. Scary thoughts. What is your experience with urban camping in other's backyards besides as a kid?

Gondor

Absolutely not, sorry. I'm going into the wild to the get away from people not to get close to them. Don't get me wrong, I'm a friendly person but that is not the reason why I go camping.

oldsarge

I'm trying to get away from this area altogether, the last thing I need is to bring more people around my place. I don't see anything good coming out of this concept.

southerngal

Yeah, I am going to have to say absolutely not on this one. I go camping to get away from people so I would not be thrilled with the idea of people "camping" in my yard.

ChadTower

I may not represent the majority view, but I'm having a hard time imagining why anyone would want to hang out in a trailer in somebody's backyard, especially in the middle of town (or worse, the city). It seems to me that it would be awkward and just not fun.

Ever been to Louisiana?

Gondor

I actually don't want camping to be popularized or to become a mainstream activity of the nation. I actually want my outdoors to be pretty quiet. :)

Giles

life outside the home, the garden

I don't know about this working so prevalently in personal homes, but what I could imagine is an event were you arrange camping events in municipal/county parks and the proceeds then donated to the park organization you mentioned.

If the main goal isn't to drive donation, this could also be an effort to remind people of how many parks many cities/towns have (or desperately need) in their "inventory," sort of like looking at map of a town with nothing but the public parks shaded in green.
Maybe it would compel people to think of parks as their own backyards?

Nifty idea Urban.

Grandpa

I've changed my mind. I think this is a great idea. In fact, Y'all could form a club and just go camp in each others back yards all summer. If someone has a big backyard, then y'all can stay there and get acquainted.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I see some great get togethers in the making. I'm kinda sorry I won't be joining you but I guess I will survive being all alone in the wilderness.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Tubby

I just don't like cities and avoid them like the plague if I can at all. I tend to try to make all appointments on the same day so I don't have to go very often. I just don't think I'd like camping in a backyard. Sorry.