Walking sticks?

outdoormarc

Survival Guru
I prefer my trekking pole over a walking stick. Lightweight,compact when needed, and it doubles as the tent pole for my solo shelter.

mi77915

I always take my trekking pole when I go out. I am so used to having it with me, that it feels "weird" when I don't.

Tom

Get photo proof

Walking sticks and hiking staffs can be an outdoorsman's best friend. They keep you balanced and safe on the trail. Time to get the facts.

le Metis

There are times where the hiking staff is a great tool, and other times a liability. Above the tree line when I'm in crampons, I want an ice axe. On Class 1 to 3 terrain, the staff will do just fine....

TahoeTrailQueen

I use trekking poles. I never hike without them. They take a lot of pressure off your knees and back. They help my balance especially crossing streams.

themaj01

I think they are a time machine my dad did walking sticks, i have 2 that are like 30 years old.

Carl17

I started using walking sticks last year. They are great, helps going up hills and stabilizes going down when trail is wet or snowy. Only problem I have had with them is on rock slides in the Grand Canyon, they got stuck in the rocks. But never hike without them

dinosaur

troublemaker
Do you actually need them, I have seen a lot of people in there mid 30's also using them and I can't imagine them being anything other than an inconvenience, what are your thoughts?
Well, here's my thoughts. If you really believe that carrying a big stick is a bad idea, you are an insipid child I have no use for in my immediate future, Take a lesson from Theodore Roosevelt.

oldsarge

When I was stationed in Panama, guys would find these small saplings with a vine wrapped around it. As the tree grew the vine would cut into it and give the wood a tight spiral cork screw effect. They were making hiking staffs out of them. After drying it out and dressing it up a bit with some stain or varnish. these staffs were some of the nicest one I've seen. I could never find one for myself and others would never part with them.

As far as trekking poles go I bought an inexpensive set and really like them. I have one customized with a "D" cell mag light holder mounted on the top to hold my GPS. Not being the computer Guru as I'd wish, I'm having trouble loading a picture of it on this post. Maybe later!

The poles I use are adjustable which I find useful if I'm bushwhacking in heavy foliage. I can shorten it up and use it to help move branches. One problem I have had is one of the poles keep coming apart inside and you can't tighten or loosen the adjustment without having to disassemble the whole thing. Good reason to have a fixed length.

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

I have had is one of the poles keep coming apart inside and you can't tighten or loosen the adjustment without having to disassemble the whole thing. Good reason to have a fixed length.[/QUOTE]

Try some with the Cam Locks. These can be tightened form the outside with a phillps screwdriver.

Erwin

I use a walking stick all the time. Their is no telling what you may run into in the woods anywhere you go. I see nothing wrong with using one.

Jerry2

I prefer a home made walking stick for clearing snakes, spider webs and small brush. I don't think the hiking poles would support my size and weight. (6' 8" - 290#)

Hayley

Do you actually need them, I have seen a lot of people in there mid 30's also using them and I can't imagine them being anything other than an inconvenience, what are your thoughts?
In my opinion, using a walking stick is totally something up to the individual. Sometimes it is just a comfort thing and sometimes it is just what works for them. I like them myself.

DCBerry

Well this seems as good thread to post my first reply as any so here it goes. A walking stick has many purposes besides aiding balance and IMHO any serious hiker will use one. Personally I hike with a large expedition pack and my stays are 3 days plus always. I also hike in steep terrain on off trails across rivers BTW walking sticks are a must there. In the winter I prefer trekking poles in the other three seasons I prefer a walking stick. I find a walking stick has many uses besides those mentioned above I use it for a main pole in my ultralight tarp and checking water depth as I cross rivers. I've also used it to help up my buddies up steep terrain or if they've slipped and fallen. I've also used it on my brother-in-laws head if he starts talking smack! LOL
I think whether or not you use them depends on what type of hiking/trekking you do. In my book a little extra support that might prevent serious injury if you do lose your balance with a heavy pack which will absolutely happen if you hike often is a intelligent choice.
BTW awesome sight you guys so far I'm liking it!

Last edited:

BCBabe

I made the walking 'staff' I take with me. It's as much a part of my gear as my tent is, and is used for much more than just walking and hiking; it's doubled as a center-pole in my tent, on one occasion.

Grandpa

Backpacker.com says average fully loaded hiker burns about 600+ calories an hour without sticks, 800 + with sticks. (can't remember what numbers where the +'s are)
I like the sticks for fording rivers, crossing logs, but the rest of the time they are tied to my pack. I feel they slow me down, especially on downhills, and wear me out, especially on uphills. I'm the only one of a large group of my hiking buddies who doesn't use them. Tarptent uses treking poles for pitching, and they help if you want to use a tarp instead of a tent. For an ole guy, I still have great balance having only hit the deck once in the last 10 years (bent over taking a picture of a flower with a full pack and let my center of gravity go too far) but for someone less agile, they may be a blessing.

Last edited:

Newanderthal

Studies have shown that if used properly, hiking poles can take over 25% of the strain off your legs and lower back, especially when carrying a pack. They increase stability, provide a better aerobic exercise, burn more calories, tone your upper body, promote good blood flow, reduce risk of leg injury and reduce risk of falls. And that's just the benefits to the body. They have countless uses including clearing spider webs, checking for snakes (as listed earlier), being used as crutches in case you twist an ankle and for minimalists, they double as tent poles when we set up our tarp shelters.

So no, they're not just an inconvenience.

Refrigerator

My early backpacking days I never used Hiking poles so when I did see others use them I rejected the idea they had a purpose. Several years later with a more open mind and seeing many more young Backpackers out there using them I decided to purchase a cheap pair and give them a try. I don't Backpack without them now and have several types in my gear arsenal and been using them now for 14 years. They have aided me tremendously and when I do take a walk without them I soon realize I'm missing something. They do what they say they do and more.