What age to start fishing?

carolyn

About what age is good to get a child a fishing pole their size and teach them how to fish? I know they would have to be pretty coordinated so like 5 or 6 maybe?

ramp

I have a friend whose father taught him fishing when he was still 3 year old! Can you imagine it? At that age, he wasn't even bigger than the trout he tried to catch LOL (just kidding, of course he was).

Flannelshirt

Unless you're willing to do the casting for the child, I'd say between the ages of 5 and 7 should be good to get a child started.

calanta

I think flannel has a good point, I know many kids that have tried to fish when they were younger and it never quite worked out. Some adult somewhere was always holding two poles instead of just one. :)

boomerang

You don't need to directly teach your kid to cast, hold the rod or land the fish in the first place. The first thing I learn from my father was putting the bait on the hook.

jason

fear no beer
My daughter has a fake fishing pole that she uses to catch plastic fish. She is only two. She loves it though. I think it is a good way to introduce them to the principles of fishing. Maybe around 5 or so we can use a "real" fishing pole.

boomerang

That great Jason. By letting her fish the plastic fish, you have taught her catch and release fishing as she wouldn't be able to eat the fish. :D Is she the 30 pound kid you put in the pack when you are hiking?

Barney

There are no limits, if you see that you kids does well with steering bigger objects than it is, that is the time to teach it fishing and buy it its first fishing pole.

jason

fear no beer
That great Jason. By letting her fish the plastic fish, you have taught her catch and release fishing as she wouldn't be able to eat the fish. :D Is she the 30 pound kid you put in the pack when you are hiking?
Well she is 30 pounds or so now. The pictures were from last year. I just took her around the block to see how she would do this year in the pack. I need to make some adjustments to the pack, but she loved it.

Joe S.

I think a good approach to take is to start them whenever they are showing a really strong interest. That's the test for me---the recurring interest in fishing.

Snaggerman

About what age is good to get a child a fishing pole their size and teach them how to fish? I know they would have to be pretty coordinated so like 5 or 6 maybe?
I think there is no set age to teach a child to fish. I waited until my grandson was 8 because of his hyperactivity. Each child is unique,so i don't believe that there can be one age fits all.