What ages are appropriate for camping?

sarahlorrain

Children need to be old enough to understand safety concerns, know how to swim, etc. They should know to look out for snakes, dangerous bugs, poison ivy, etc. I'm sure this age is different for each child, but I would think somewhere around 6 or 7.

dtinnan

when I was 3 my parents toured the west in a tent. my brother was old enough to remember, but I don't. point is my parents have instilled a love for the outdoors that predates my earliest memories. so have I with my son. we've spent weeklong tenting trips together since he was 4. we've got pictures of us in about half the state parks in Ga, tenn. and ala. the only way their gonna learn safety in the wild, is to load them up and take them to the wild. there's no magic age where they suddenly "understand" you just have to keep educating and applying the principles of safety from the beginning. start small. camp in the back yard till they follow simple instructions, then hit a state park. you'll be amazed at how well they'll do!

HereToday

As our son had a bit of a history of slipping away for an adventure or two, we waited until he was about to start kindergarten and his sister was three before we took them camping. At that age they could understand what we expected of them. They can still remember that trip, and think of it fondly.

HereToday

As to the other spectrum of age, my grandma was a keen camper and loved to go off to a beautiful lake for camping. When she became an age that she couldn't walk safely on trails, was in danger of slipping or falling, and found it worrying instead of fun, we realised she wasn't in shape for camping. We took her instead on sight seeing tours and a nice hotel room after dinner.

chocoguy

I think that 5 years old would be enough provided that they are accompanied by an adult with enough knowledge about the woods. The willingness of the child must be there too.

rubybeetle

We've taken them when they're babies. When my daughter started walking she wore a leash and we tied bells to her shoes. A snuggly is handy at camp and to go hiking with. There's no way they understand safety so they are watched very closely.

mom2manyboyz

I don't think it depends on the age, so much as the specific child and the location you are camping in. Some areas have additional concerns snakes, gators, etc that you wouldn't have everywhere. The child should always know about the safety concerns and be cautious and appropriate before camping would be safe.

As far as monitoring them closely, I am a very heavy sleeper. When my kids were small, I always worried that no matter how closely I watched them during the day, they may wake up at night and get into danger.

LeviDonny

Age- and rank-appropriate guidelines have been developed based on the mental, physical, emotional, and social maturity of Boy Scouts of America youth members. These guidelines apply to Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, Varsity Scout teams, and Venturing crews.

Last edited:

Kitten

It definitely depends on the individual kids and how 'extreme' the camping is going to be. If it's away from water, just an overnight trip, etc, then I see no problem with some toddlers even being "old enough" to enjoy it.

camperz

Of course, teenagers have most suitable age for camping.
Children's are still too small to take safety measures into concern.
Old and aged people just find it difficult camping.

dtinnan

What are y'all talking about, letting the kids camp by themselves? are ya'll really saying a parent doesn't have enough sense to take their child camping and protect them from "the dangers of the wilds" until they are almost grown? I have been taking my child into the woods with me from his infancy. I protect him, I watch over him, I don't put unrealistic expectations on him. I do limit his exposure in a manner that I, as his guardian, feel is appropriate to his age and capabilities. But i feel if you wait till they are teens, or toddlers, then they have already missed many wonderful experiences in the outdoors!

basecamp

I Think people with age in range of 14 to 45 are suitable for camping. :)

small children's may be taken to camping, if you take the responsibility to take care of them seriously. Basically elders like resting and wont come for camping.

dtinnan

man, as i look back on my life of camping i sure do hate to see it coming to such a sudden end. being the OLD age of 41, I know i don't have many years left to get out and enjoy the beauty that nature provides! 4 years from now I'll be having some great deals on some good camping gear, since i'll be too old, broke-down and decrepid to camp anymore, since 45 is the safe cut-off date for seniors in the woods. man, i'm gonna miss all those great times i have had with my son, and since my grandson won't be 14 before i hit the 45 cut-off, i guess i will never get to share my outdoor knowledge with him. maybe if i give the gear to my son, he'll be able to figure out how to use it with my grandson, while i sit in my recliner with a blanket over my aged legs to keep me warm.

rubybeetle

LOL There was a wonderful old lady who use to camp with the group, she's gone now, but age sure didn't stop her. She was 80 on her last camping trip and she slept on a cot and sleeping bag out in the open. There are 70-year-old die hard cowboys who still haul up their horses numerous times a year and ride the trails. I know age will not stop me, I'll have to be physically unable to get to the mountains. It's a way of life, for the kids too.

bluet

I think any age above 12 is appropriate I start to camping when I'm still in the 6th grade

silverskee

5 years old is quite a safe age, although I would recommend that the parent/guardian has some experience in camping. I've heard about many families going on camps and when they get their they have no clue on what to do.

Brian

I started camping at the age of 12 although that was for a school camp. I would say that you can do it at an earlier age. Although I'm not too certain which is why I don't want to give the wrong information about. So yeh

amine

Kids can be a part of our adventure. As being a kid, they will never understand the seriousness of the dangers involved in it. So, as a parent we have to watch them closely and take care of them.

doormaverick

I think if they are old enough to go to school and stay there all day, they are responsible enough to go camping and aware enough to be safe. It is also the responsibility of the parent to teach your kids to be safe and keep a look out for them at all times