When things were simple

Northern Dancer

I remember when camp equipment was seemingly simple; straightforward and practical.
Dunno for sure, but it all seemed so uncomplicated.
Corny I suppose, but simplicity seemed to work.
The magnitude and multitude today is overwhelming and the spiraling costs are horrific.
But, then again, it's anyone's choice.

Just sayin.

Check out this article -----> Wied, Wonderful, & Disturbingly Strange Camping Gear
Ben Collaton

ppine

Forester
I use the same equipment today as I did 40 years ago. Headlamps are a good step forward. Thermarest mattresses.

jason

fear no beer
Funny you mention that. Went to one county park at lunch today and the campers there had generators at their camp. Really surprised me. They were not running at the time however.

ppine

Forester
Not so good when they get snowed in and run out of fuel. Not so good when the batteries are dead. Not so good when they are out of range.

I listen to a weather report before heading out. When I am in the bush I use an Indian weather rock.

Northern Dancer

I agree wholeheartedly that many of the newer devices, gizmos, and gadgets can be terrific. On the other hand, if I'm not camping/canoeing beside a Day's End Inn parking lot, I'm going to keep the essential skills just in case. I'm not really into fancy stuff. I concur, the headlamp has been one of the better innovations. My motivation is to keep it simple and uncomplicated and not add to the burden of carrying all that stuff.

Jason -----> In this neck of the woods Provincial Parks have a strict rule for the use of generators. They are usually banned during daylight hours in the organized campgrounds. It's the same for open campfires - unless cooking with the same.

jason

fear no beer
Jason -----> In this neck of the woods Provincial Parks have a strict rule for the use of generators. They are usually banned during daylight hours in the organized campgrounds. It's the same for open campfires - unless cooking with the same.
I honestly never looked into the laws/rules for that, as I never thought to bring one. It was a smaller county park, about 113 acres, most of it is a heavily overgrown lake.