When you go hiking in deep woods is it against the law to carry a firearm in a Nation

Musicman

Want to take a two day hiking trip into the woods in Northern Michigan but want to bring a gun for self defense, not hunting, either a rifle or handgun. Is it against the law to do so?

jason

fear no beer
National Forests allow firearms and target practice, but there are many rules and exceptions, like not near buildings, roads, populated areas, etc. In National Parks, no firearms are allowed. National Wildlife Management areas, no firearms, BLM land usually allows firearms. ALL are also subject to state law.

Find the webpage of the National Forest you are visiting and see what their policy is. You should at the very least have a Michigan permit to carry. Know the difference between a Park and Forest.

Stephen

Wilderness Guide
I think that the Government is changing the firearm law's to where you will be able to carry a firearm in National park's also.

humorris

My opinion, as a briton, if you are a member of the armed forces "yes" carry a firearm, if a member of the public "no". But Britian is more civilized than america, i.e. death penelty, guns laws etc etc.

Barney

These days it seems that 2nd amendment tends to become a thing of the past, where you won't have the right to own and carry a firearm anywhere. I mean, what's the point of owning a firearm if you can't carry it almost anywhere, it's ridiculous.

OutTheBackDoor

It really depends on where you go. I'd call ahead to the national park or ranger stations where you plan to go, they'd be able to advise you better than any of us would. I wouldn't want to go hiking without a firearm. You never know what you are going to meet up with in the woods-man or beast.

greengrass

Thank you for this information. It's good to know that some outdoor places don't allow you to carry a weapon of any kind. And I agree that the 2nd amendment is starting to be overruled more often than not.

FREELOADER

To have a side arm in Michigan you have to have a permit to carry, if this is a problem for you to obtain then I suggest taking at the very least a 22 cal. rifle when camping and hiking in the northern part of Michigan. Black Bear, wolves, and other dangerous animals live there and although they will run if they hear you they have been know to defend their young and their homes.

Michael

These days it seems that 2nd amendment tends to become a thing of the past, where you won't have the right to own and carry a firearm anywhere. I mean, what's the point of owning a firearm if you can't carry it almost anywhere, it's ridiculous.
The 2nd amendment is about maintaining a well regulated, armed militia. It was written in an era when people were concerned that they might need to fight off the British again some time soon.

Are you and the rest of your militia planning to fight off the Brits in a national forest? Otherwise, I don't see the problem.

(;

Jobiwan

Guns are just extra weight unless you are hunting. Bears and dogs are more afraid of you and are rarely spotted. If security is still a must then pepper spray is available, it's light weight and VERY effective.

rdowns

As of Feb 22, 2010 citizens with carry permits are allowed to carry while enjoying our National Park Systems.

http :// abcnews.go.com /Travel/guns-national-parks-firearms-now-allowed-yellowstone-yosemite/story?id=9910171

dinosaur

troublemaker
Humorris is right. The brits are much more civilized than we. However, the brits don't still have vast tracts of wilderness where both four and two legged varmints aren't going to heed societal rules.

I'm not apprehensive about the brits coming a third time. They had the good sense to give up on us "bloody colonials" after the War of 1812. But there are other dangers here. When was the last time in England that a large carnivore drug a camper off into the night? The only places you will find me without a large caliber firearm are government buildings and hospitals.

I realize that a gun isn't going to be very effective against a crazed jihadist with a bomb strapped to his chest. But, if I can give him a third eye before he pushes the button, I would be hailed as a hero whereas you would be a statistic.

td_porter

Want to take a two day hiking trip into the woods in Northern Michigan but want to bring a gun for self defense, not hunting, either a rifle or handgun. Is it against the law to do so?
I'm from northern lower michigan and i found a website that might help ya. Check out DNR - Department of Natural Resources. My advice would be to contact a conservation officer (game warden) under the law enforcement tab...i'm sure one of them would be able to answer your question. It lists out the different districts throughout the state and you can get in touch with one of the local officers there. They also might give ya some info & tips about the area your camping in. Hope this was helpful to you :tinysmile_shy_t:

Flatlander

It's very rare that we read a story about a hiker "accidently killed by pepper spray after nervous buddy shoots 'bear'." It's now legal to carry a firearm into most federal property, but if you actually feel the need to, call ahead. And you might want to wear brightly colored clothes and sleep in a brightly colored tent, so everyone around you can have some idea that being nearby makes them more likely to be shot than eaten alive.

IndianaHiker

Yes it is legal to carry a firearm in national park. Mistake in by humble opinion. I now would be more concerned about being shot by some city folk that get jumpy in the woods carrying a 9mm. Lots of people out there that have no business in the woods or carrying a gun much less both at the same time.

Just my 2 cents HYOH.