Why do you enjoy fishing?

woodsman

Simple question, yet nobody has ever given me a straight answer. I have a bunch of pals who fish every time they get a chance. I have a hard time imagining why someone would wake up at five, load up the car and drive 40 miles to stand in cold water the rest of the day, gripping the end of a stick hoping they will catch something. When I ask them, they never give me a straight answer they always tell me "Come with us and you'll see". I'll be damned if I go off my own will to grip a stick all day long.

Jimbo

For me, it's relaxing. That's why I like to fish. Sometimes I'll even have a good day and bring home dinner. That's the icing on the cake for me.

woodsman

I guess to each his own Jimbo, I do not have the patience to sit still for hours on end. I like to be more active, but thanks for the good answer.

jason

fear no beer
I find it relaxing. I sit on my kayak, usually on the flats, hidden from the world. Nothing but the sound of nature, and (hopefully) the sun out. It is just some nice quite "me time".

On the flip side, there is also some great fun in going fishing with some buddies and having a few beers. Joking, and just having a jolly good time.

Path

Hello woodsman
I have a good friend of mine that is a fishing fanatic too. I used to go with him all the time. He would be catching fish left and right. I might catch 1 or 2 fish, 3 if I was lucky. But when I went with him, I didn't really go for the fishing aspect of it. I went for the way being in nature made me feel. Just like what Jason said =
I find it relaxing. I sit on my kayak, usually on the flats, hidden from the world. Nothing but the sound of nature, and (hopefully) the sun out. It is just some nice quite "me time".
Then one day my fishing fanatic friend asked me where did I learn to fish from. I said I knew a little bit from being in boy scouts and from some friends and a lot of trial and error. When I told him that I come fishing to absorb all I can get from nature and that catching fish was a by product of being here. He said he always wandered why I never caught very many fish. So he began to teach me about proper bait - poles to use and structure in the water and full moon verses crescent moon nights and water temperature and river fishing verses lake and pond and how to hook the bait and many other vast variables that come into play when going fishing. Then I started catching a lot of fish too and eating some good fish. Hopefully you'll have someone teach you so you won't stand all day and do nothing. But for some that's okay too.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I fish because I enjoy it and the fish is better than anything you can buy. There is a great deal of sport in it. Hooking into a large fish can be quite exciting. Lastly, Jesus was a fisherman. If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

staime

I like the quiet time, then again I like the fun times too when you are going with friends and things get a little loud. I think what I like best is that anything is possible on a trip.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
The only place I feel grounded and at peace is in the wilderness. I am not one to get up at 4 in the morning either, but I do love a quiet lake with just the sound of nature and the smell of life. I also think it appeals to my hunter/gatherer instincts. It feels good to pull a hardy meal with nothing more than a little gear and some wits.

I also love the taste of fresh caught trout frying over a campfire. For salmon it's more of an economic thing. A half dozen large salmon puts a good many meals on the table for next to nothing in cost. It's the same reason I hunt. It saves a lot of money and I know the meat is clean and healthy for my family.

I am not a hardcore fisherman like some people, but I do really enjoy it and do it frequently.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I like to catch fish, fillet them in the boat, go to shore, start a fire and have shore lunch. That is good stuff.

Stoker

It sure is dinosaur. Having a few friends to help out every now and then with the catch is pretty cool too. Every now and then we need some away time from our wives.

Greenjack

There is a lot of fun in fishing. I like the idea of catching your own food instead of buying it in grocery stores. I think that's the reason I am willing to spend hours to fish on the weekend.