Wild Boars

Grandpa

Hi...According to NCPR: North Country Public Radio of January 09, the North Country and Adirondaks is being invaded by 300 pound wild boars with razor sharp tusks, and are spreading fast...!!

Anybody want to come on over and try their luck?

It's under Feral Hogs.
Well, now Champy can get fresh pork and repopulate the lake so more people can see him. Also, regarding potahto, take it from an Idahoan, it is pronounced spud, regardless of what the Brits say.

Grandpa

Hi...

Also under Skinny Moose - Hunting, Fishing, and Outdoor Blog Network of January 09 is a blog entitled Idaho Fish and Game... Corrupt?

What in the world is going on?
Nothing new to us here. The wolves are everywhere despite what IFG says and the elk are nowhere, also despite what IFG says. How can they sell you folks back east a hunting license and elk tag for about $ 7 bennies if there are no elk. Yer jus lousy hunters, ya no? Why do you think the griz are all moving out of Yellowstone and the wolves are moving everywhere. From Idaho all ready into California, Oregon and Washington, Nevada, Utah and Colorado. Any connection with all the human/bear encounters this year? Oh yeah, blame it on the pine beatles so there aren't enough pine nuts for the bears to eat.

I could whine all day but think I had better go split firewood

KeikoOka

We have a wild boar problem, too. We do not have wolves or any predator which hunts them regularly. There are rewards here for verified kills of wild boars; it is the only way to keep their population under control.

sailorman

We have some wild bores around here, but no wild boars! Of course a wild bore probably seems like an oxymoron! I imagine that boars spread pretty quickly once they are in an area. It is my understanding that they are dangerous pack animals.

jason

fear no beer
They have been running pretty bad in Florida. I would like to get a hunting license for them one day.

calanta

I am pretty sure if I saw one you would see the fastest tree climber in the world. Wild animals tend to freak me out a little and the oinkers are just a little to mean looking for my liking.

oldmangunner

So, does that mean that you should climb a tree if you run in to a pack of wild boars? I am going to have to practice my tree climbing abilities if that is the case.

Rain

Even domestic swine are mean, I can only imagine the fierceness of a wild boar. I think that hunting one could be very exciting for some. Hunting something with razor sharp tusks can be pretty enticing.

Roy

I think I smell a future installment of "When Animals Attack". Swine are very aggressive by nature, couple that with razor sharp tusks and people who don't know what they're doing and that's good quality television.

ppine

Forester
Tree climbing is a good idea, but takes some practice and a good tree. Wild pigs can appear suddenly, a firearm is probably best. Boars of course only refer to the males, sows are a problem too, especially wet sows with babies.

edit- I pulled out a piece of meat from the freezer for the Dutch party. It was wild pig not venison that my neighbor had given me and we used the same butcher. It was pig tenderloin and it was really good. I urge anyone with pigs to get a liscense and starting eating them.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

Hi...

If you've ever watched the old movie Gunga Din...it portrayed an instance where some of the younger officers wanted to go boar hunting on horseback, and used lances as their weapons.

The old officer in charge told them never to dismount during the hunt. Of course, somebody did, and even in the movies, someone got badly hurt...!!

Even the pecceries (wild pigs) of our southwest and Mexico can do much harm to a person.

I once had the good...and not so good...fortune to hunt wild boar in the Mountains of Turkey.

Another group of hunters was also in the area. Some of the other group were wearing clothing similar in color to a wild boar. One of them even wore an Alpine hat, that had a boar's tail in it. He ended up getting shot in the face, having been "mistaken" for a boar.

We had to carry him for miles through the mountains until we met with our Kamakazi bus driver who brought us over the winding, cliff-side roads to our starting point that morning.

I never did find out what happened to the wounded hunter after that.

LeadOperator

Feral hogs are gettin to be quite a problem in several areas of the country. They're pretty thick around here.
Whoever said something about climbing a tree to get away from them wasn't kidding.
Problem is, they're real smart...smarter than your average dog.
You go up a tree...you better be prepared to spend some time up there...they won't go away soon.
I was fishing in a large stock pond in SE Oklahoma with a buddy once. We were big ol' teenage boys, ten feet tall & bullet proof. We were using tube floats, havin a big time.
A herd of hogs showed up & we started making our way slowly to the opposite bank. A couple of smart alek pigs figgered out what we were doin & ambled over to where we were plannin on gettin out. We ended up stranded in the water for over 8 hours, til my buddy's dad showed up in the truck with a pistol. Finally ran'em off so we could get out.
A wild pig is nothing to fool around with. A herd is even worse.

Blueskyy

They have been running pretty bad in Florida. I would like to get a hunting license for them one day.
With as many as ya'll have down there you still have to have a license? We have so many there is no license and season on them anymore. They are fair game year round.

LeadOperator

I'm not sure about anywhere else, but I'm pretty sure there's no season on'em here, no limit, AND I believe just recently it was made OK to hunt them at night, either spotlighting them or using night-vision.

jason

fear no beer
I'm not sure about anywhere else, but I'm pretty sure there's no season on'em here, no limit, AND I believe just recently it was made OK to hunt them at night, either spotlighting them or using night-vision.
I may be mistaken, CozInCowtown my wish to chime in on this, but I believe in TX you can hunt at night. I was just talking with someone when I was there who said they hunt them from around now until July 5-6 times a week at night. He donates some to local food shelters, and sells the others for around $1.50 a pound. He said they average 3-5 a night too on I think it was 50 acres of private land.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Just read this in a new Military Times publication.

The U.S. Department's top ferel hog expert in Texas said that he and his operatives killed more than 24,647 problem swine. Hunters probably killed another 200,000 to 300,000.

These seemingly impressive numbers are a pittance in terms of the state's infestation of 2.6 million to 2.8 million.

He said Texas estimates that each wild hog does about $200.00 of damage yearly to improved pasture land and row crops...!!

Hmmm...napalm...??