Wind up flashlights

campclose

Does anyone own a wind-up flashlight? Might even be called a crank? I saw them advertised on TV and thought it was a pretty neat idea. I can't tell you the number of times we have gone camping and the flashlight batteries were dead. Yeah I know I should check them at home.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I had one before the first LED lights were available. The LED's have pretty much rendered the cranks obsolete. I have a number of the LED flashlights. One of them is large, uses D-Cells, is totally waterproof and after ten years, still has the original batteries in it.

woodsman

Don't have one, but from what I understand there are a bunch of fake Chinese copies on the market that don't actually crank, so you should double check before buying one.

freedommachine

I have a hand crank flashlight. I cant say it would be my main choice for a light, but it would be great if all my other flashlights die on me.

Luvoutdoors

We have one of these and if you forget to buy batteries or have kids who steal them all the time for their toys they are great!

Telna

I keep a wind up flashlight in the trunk of my car and it has come in handy plenty of times. I think it's good to have around. Mine also has red or orange flashers on the side.

southerngal

I don't have one of these yet but it is on my list of things to get for our disiaster preparedness kit. That's a great idea to keep one in the car as well!

oldmangunner

I have one of the old wind up flash lights. It can also serve as a wind up radio and siren. It is a pretty good tool, but your arms hurt after awhile.

Hayley

No, I haven't even heard of these cranked flashlights. It's an interesting notion, but new to me. I normally just make sure I have a good supply of new batteries.

Telna

I don't have one of these yet but it is on my list of things to get for our disiaster preparedness kit. That's a great idea to keep one in the car as well!
Yes, I definitely recommend that you get one for your disaster preparedness kit. It's a great idea. Just make sure you get one that actually works. You can look up reviews online to make sure you are buying one that you can rely on.

jason

fear no beer
I've used the ones that you shake. Never tried the crank ones though. But shake ones are not bad, but never seem to be as bright as battery flashlights.

Newanderthal

I had one. Used it on several occasions. The batteries are crap. Once you use them a dozen times, they no longer hold a charge and you have to wind them constantly to get any light at all out of them. Not worth the money. Get a cheap LED head lamp. The amount you'll spend on the lamp and batteries is less than the wind up lights... and it'll last you a year before you replace the batteries.