Won't go to bed with fire

tentmom

I have a couple of friends that will not go to bed at night when camping if there is a fire in the fire pit. I guess I’m not too worried about this if it’s a small fire and it’s contained in the pit. What are your thoughts on this? I’m sure it’s safer to have the fire completely out but we all go to bed at different times so more than likely the fire is still going.

Bud

There are ways to "bank" a campfire so that if you are sleeping next to the fire, it will burn very slowly and emit enough heat to keep you warm, but there are no open flames involved.

jloomis

Campfire safety often depends on the conditions. Windy dry conditions can cause problems whereas damp non-windy conditions are relatively safe. I often go to bed with the fire still going and never have a problem. Granted I do not leave a raging fire unattended.

Gondor

I never put out the fire but I always build walls out of stones around it just to make sure nothing comes flying into my tent during the night.

jason

fear no beer
If conditions are good, I will let it die out on its own if just embers and no flames. However, there are many of times we are not even allowed to have a fire, let alone go to bed with anything still hot.

Grandpa

Because we are usually in bear country we use the triangle campsite. Fire and eating area at one point, tent at another point and food sacks hanging at the third point, all as far away from each other as possible.(within reason of course)

If an existing fire ring meets our safty criteria we have a fire, if not we don't. It has to be far enough away from any combustible material from a stray spark and far enough away from water that the phosphates in the ash don't leach. Then, if there is no significant wind, we let it burn itself out. Before leaving we soak with water, then stir thoroughly while looking for any trash remnants then wet again.

Several areas in the west are having problems with the phosphate levels from soap and ashes changing the pH of the water which adversely affects the fishery in the lakes and streams. The High Uinta wilderness in Utah now requires fires to be at least a 1/4 mile from water because of this problem.

Refrigerator

Because we are usually in bear country we use the triangle campsite. Fire and eating area at one point, tent at another point and food sacks hanging at the third point, all as far away from each other as possible.(within reason of course)

If an existing fire ring meets our safty criteria we have a fire, if not we don't. It has to be far enough away from any combustible material from a stray spark and far enough away from water that the phosphates in the ash don't leach. Then, if there is no significant wind, we let it burn itself out. Before leaving we soak with water, then stir thoroughly while looking for any trash remnants then wet again.

Several areas in the west are having problems with the phosphate levels from soap and ashes changing the pH of the water which adversely affects the fishery in the lakes and streams. The High Uinta wilderness in Utah now requires fires to be at least a 1/4 mile from water because of this problem.
I didn't know about the phosphate levels Grandpa Looking for more info now. Thanks for the post.

overtheridge

Most times we let the fire die right down before we head to bed. A lot of times the kids will go in to the camper or their tents and then us parents will stay out and sit around the campfire while it dies down. Sometimes it's just the men that sit around for hours and hours and we (women) head to bed.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Common sense pretty much covers you for these problems. If someone tells me that a campfire is going to damage the wildlife, kill off the fishery, eliminate the deer population, wipe out the buffalo or some other such nonsense, I'm going to be skeptical. Campfires in North America, according to the most recent findings, have been prevalent for 11,500 years. My bet is it was a lot longer, we just can't prove it yet.

I'm still going to have campfires. Anyone who wants to debate their viability can talk to me. Say what you want. I'm listening.

ChadTower

I'm still going to have campfires. Anyone who wants to debate their viability can talk to me. Say what you want. I'm listening.

Yeah, considering everything else that gets dumped into the water supply at various points, campfire byproduct isn't going to change anything.

mikepond

I am one of those people, gotta stay warm somehow right? We always tend to take precautions to make sure the fire is okay even though I always try to keep a lookout.

yosemitefan

When I worked trails in Yosemite, we followed a very rigid rule and were not allowed to set up camp within--I can't remember exactly how many feet now...I'd say at least 100 to 200, if not more. At any rate, we were not allowed to camp near any river, stream or lake because of the risk of contamination. We were also not allowed to use soap. If we did, it had to come from a natural, biodegradable source. If only all campers were held to these standards. I wasn't aware of phosphates in the ashes...

ChadTower

The funny thing is the hikers follow the rules religiously. Then you leave the protected area and for miles there are little campfire spots all down the riverbed on the rocks where people have partied at night. The rules don't exist for residents.

Michael

I usually pour enough water onto the fire that there are no visible embers. If it's really dry out, I'll pour a lot more water on it.

I always use a nice ring of stones and clear the area of the fire of dry leaves, twigs, and such. You know, basic fire safety stuff. The embers are pretty well contained, so it's unlikely that anything bad will happen.

If you don't go really aggro with the water, you can still have enough warm embers buried under ash that you can start a new fire without matches or anything. I like having the option of the lazy man's fire starter.

yosemitefan

I haven't found any information about phosphate levels in the waterways but I did read an article that stated Washington state is considering imposing a ban on beach bonfires to reduce CO2 emissions because, apparently, these fires are contributing to global warming. I just don't agree with all these proposals if there isn't any solid proof to back them up. And how can there be solid proof if these 'studies' are only a few years old?

ChadTower

MA/RI banned beach fires many years ago. Fun is not permitted here and beach fires may cause spontaneous instances of enjoyment. This is not desired.

Grandpa

As to my comment about the Uintas and ashes, I don't buy it either. It was posted at the TH when we were there last summer.