Would you go ice fishing?

Christie

My brother-in-law talks about going ice fishing year after year, but has yet to try it. Have you ever been ice fishing? What was your experience? What are some important things/gear to bring with him (besides long-johns)?

jason

fear no beer
I have never been. I would try it however. I would dress warm, and tell people where exactly he is going. Can never be too careful dealing with ice.

drake

I have experienced ice-fishing once. Though I was new to it, I brought a reliable tackle, best bait, short rod, tip-up reel and old warm clothes with me. We drilled a hole through the ice to catch a fish.

lovelife

My brother in law goes ice fishing every year with my nephews. They love it! They actually made some type of hut that they put around them when on the ice. This keeps them safe from the windy conditions.

firefly

I would be scared to death to go ice fishing. I`d be too afraid of the ice caving in. I`m not used to that kind of cold weather either.

campclose

I like the hut idea. We own a cottage on a small lake and we ice fish there from time to time. It's great because when we get cold, we go in. You need warm clothes, something to sit on too (like a chair) and I always take out the ice pick to put a hole in the frozen lake.

calanta

I have never been and really do not like the cold all that much but if invited I would go just to say I have. New experiences are good, but I agree with the man in red, being safe comes first.

southerngal

I'm with you Calanta kind of the whole I'll try anything once deal. I think it sounds like fun but I don't like being in the cold for very long. I would definitely try it once though.

Pebbles

I would be scared to death to go ice fishing. I`d be too afraid of the ice caving in. I`m not used to that kind of cold weather either.
My brother's friend went ice fishing and he pulled his truck out onto the lake he was going to fish.(I guess he saw several other trucks do the same.) Well, needless to say, he picked a bad spot and the truck fell into the lake. He had to pay all kinds of fines for the truck going into the lake and then had to pay to get it towed out of the water.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Shanna

OM Goodness! That's horrible! The poor man. I would like to try it once just to see what it's like. I'd have to go with someone who's done it before though, so I didn't pick a place that was too thin to stand on.

Christie

I'm not that keen on fishing anyway. So, the fact that this is fishing out in the cold on ice just makes it even less appealing. Are people actually able to catch anything, besides a cold, doing this?

Traveler

Are people actually able to catch anything, besides a cold, doing this?
Yes, and its much more rewarding to catch a fish when its winter because fish is not easy to catch.

I never tried ice fishing because I have problems with cold. I easily get sinusitis when I'm exposed to cold weather.

campclose

Oh my! I wouldn't pull my truck on the lake. I hope he was ok! I can't imagine having my truck fall through the lake. How did they get it out?