How Did You Get Started Camping?

Sarah

When was the first time you went camping and realized that was something you really enjoyed? I didn't discover camping until I met my husband who is an outdoor enthusiast. I wasn't sure I would enjoy camping in a tent without any luxuries, but found pretty quickly that it was a lot of fun. I was also surprised to find that I could do without a lot of the fluff.

Judy Ann

Hi Sarah, taught myself to tent camp in my 50's. Boarding fees per night for my Bichon Frise are $40, add a motel and that is more money than a nurse should spend per night when saving for retirement. We are still adjusting, however more of my coworkers want to join in each trip. It is fun to meet up at the end of the day and share a campfire and stories...Wish I could stay up as late as they do without feeling the pain in the am!

freedommachine

Heck I camped with my family since I was only about 3. So I have camped all my life and always will. My first memories of camping were around mt. lassen, with an old tent made in the forties,fishing with a stick with line and hook tied to it. Then going out for the day going into lava tubes and swiming in crstal clear creeks. So I have loved camping for as long as I can remember. I alway like It when I see a family camping with kids only a few months to a few years knowing they have a good start on camping.

rockytibby

I started camping with my dad when I was about 12 years old. During hunting season in Nov. up in the Oregon mountains. We had an old army tent and good sleeping bags. It was very cold but I enjoyed it, it made me tough. I never did hunt, I just could not bring myself to shoot a deer. My dad always got one he was an avid hunter.

oldsarge

Had an Uncle who tooks us all camping. Always had a great time and could never get enough of it.

safn1949

Went on the Appalachian Trail in 1968 with a group from summer camp( I was 12),it was a complete Chinese fire drill but I never forgot it.

energystuff

Hey guys, I'm new here but definitely not new to camping! I didn't used to be such a big fan and in recent years myknees have been a little sensitive on the downhill. I think I realized I loved camping when I was with my family as a kid and had my dog sleeping in my tent. We fed him a marshmallow when making s'mores and early the next morning I woke up to dog vomit on my face! I thought to myself... this is bad but at least I can just hop in the river and enjoy the day :)

I just like the peace and quiet, I've lived in some big cities over the years and it's non-stop noise. Camping is solitude.

Smack

Our parents took us camping up at Center Hill lake in Smithville, TN. Of course, my daddys idea of camping was a little different than most peoples. He wasn't too fond of tents and sleeping on the ground, so we rented cabins. It was fun, but it didn't seem like camping.

Later on, after I married, my wife and I started going camping, in a tent, by the river. With a campfire and everything. It's great.

Kenser321

I started out life RVing with the family. When we would bring friends, my friends and I always ended up out in the tent. Since I have grown older and always had a girlfriend, we would have to camp near showers. LOL I have never gone backpacking, but I plan on Hiking the AT as soon as I stash enough money. I am getting married soon and trying to save for a house. My dream willl just have to wait.

gregkthompson

I always went camping as a kid, but I dont really think I enjoyed it until I joined the Navy and during vacation times back home me and my dad would pack up the Harleys and head out for a few days. That is when I really got into it. From there, its led to hiking, backpacking, kayaking.

briansnat

Platnium Member
camping

When I was a kid I used to read my dad's old Boy Scout manual, especially the chapters about camping and I would daydream about pitching a tent in the woods (I grew up in a small city).

Fast forward to when I was in a fraternity in college and we used to rent a house for our pledge's "hell weekend" (Initiation weekend). One year we couldn't find a house so someone suggested we camp. I borrowed a tent from the student center's lending room (they had everything from tents to canoes available for students to borrow) and camped for the first time.

It wasn't real camping, we backed our cars right up to the site, blasted music all night and drained a few kegs of beer, but I was hooked.

Then my brother mentioned that he wanted to start backpacking and began buying equipment. I thought it was a great idea and purchased a pack and other equipment and went on my first backpacking trip with my then girlfriend who had to borrow a pack.

We climbed to a nice overlook in the Catskills and made camp. There were a few day hikers around, but they left before the sun set. Suddenly it was just the two of us in the middle of the woods miles from our car and the feeling was exhilarating.

Been backpacking ever since.

ejdixon

Started camping when I was 5 with my dad. But the only time that I really got hooked to camping was back in college when my roommate, who happened to be an outdoors guy, invited me to go with him and a couple of other college friends. After all those stuff at school, it was just a relief to leave everything behind for a few days.

Mary Beth

My parents enjoyed camping, when I was small, so naturally I grew to love camping. When you are little, camping seems like a big adventure, and I still feel that way.

I picked up my love for camping, from my parents and my aunt. My parents took me camping at local places, since I was small. My aunt and uncle liked to go camping at new places, each time. My cousin did not want to be without a playmate, so I often tagged along.

Wild Rose

The first time I went camping, was in high school. My friends were planning a huge camping trip. It was going to last three days, and involve lots of canoeing. I almost did not go, but I am glad I did. I had so much fun camping and canoeing, and was an instant camping addict!

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

My folks would take me camping about two hours drive from our home, when I was a pre-teener, but somehow i always found my way back.

Actually I did start camping...sort of...on our property when I was a pre-teener. Enjoyed it a lot. Always was facinated by stories about the Mountain Men. Guess I wanted to be one.

Why does that hand grenade seem to be getting larger? Then it hit me!