Nomad Style?

Woods

Would you be able to live as a nomad? Would you miss all the perks today's life has to offer? I know that many of us are campers but could we make this leap really?

oldsarge

Don't think I could really. After a while I'd get bored and have to think things up to do, find ways to make life easier....you know, that's how this all got started in the first place and brought us all to where we're at now.

Barney

True oldsarge :) but sometimes it is just romantic to consider this. I know I would also be bored but at times the urge to get away from this hectic life is overwhelming.

Lamebeaver

A lot of people do this after they retire....sell the house, buy an RV. Yes, I think I could, but I think I'd like a home to return to. A lot of the true nomads, like the plains indians returned to the same campsites,year-after=year as they wandered the land, so I don't think that's unreasonable.

charley

Sounds like fun but I would miss showers, internet, sports on tv. An rv would take care of that, though.

Mary Beth

I am not sure, I could live as a nomad. I like my hot showers too much! I think, as a nomad, you would not have time to be bored. You would always be looking for food and shelter.

ppine

Forester
I was nomadic for years as a young person. It is a requirement for many outdoor jobs. Many are seasonal, and the rest require traveling all the time. It is easier when we are younger. At some point many people give up and want to have a more normal life with a partner and their own house.

hydethebeef

I think I am too spoiled to live as a nomad. I love the outdoors, and want to know how to survive in it if I have to, however I want to come home and get cozy with my x box and my laptop, can't help it!

Grandpa

As Ppine said, it's fine when young but I like to get back in my comfort zone now and again. I think of the hardships (and the life expectancy) of those old mountain men. I know it sounds exciting but with todays hi tech stuff it would still be a challenge to do what they did, let alone with the equipment they had.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Access to a good public library is too important to me. My own reference library is too important as well. A good home base camp is nice and it makes me treasure every hour and every trip I do take into the wilderness. As said by several above, in my youth I could stay out almost indefinitely traveling on but a good place out of the wind with access to almost infinite literature is as important as travel is in these years.

ejdixon

Perhaps for a couple of months, but I don't think I'll be able to make it into a permanent kind of lifestyle.

ppine

Forester
It would be easier to deal with if one grew up that way. Transhumance is still practiced by livestock herders in many place, especially Africa, and the interior of Asia like Mongolia.

My Dad's ranch had two pieces of grazing leases separated by about 40 miles- ponderosa pine forest in the summer, and desert shrubland in the winter. We packed up the dishes and bedrolls and moved twice each year.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I would have liked to try it for a few years when I was younger, but never had the guts to leave my career behind.

Now that I'm married and have a house and family it would not be attractive to me.

state_camper

Would you be able to live as a nomad? Would you miss all the perks today's life has to offer? I know that many of us are campers but could we make this leap really?
I think I could only enjoyably live as a nomad temporarily. For example, my husband and I have always wanted to hike the Appalachian trail from end-to-end. We researched it and discovered that it would take several months to accomplish the feat.

Now, with a specific goal like this is mind, and a set time frame, I really think I could make the most of the situation and truly enjoy it. But, if I were faced with the prospect of wandering aimlessly and/or wandering for an infinite amount of time, I don't think I'd like it at all, lol.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I was nomadic for years as a young person. It is a requirement for many outdoor jobs. Many are seasonal, and the rest require traveling all the time. It is easier when we are younger. At some point many people give up and want to have a more normal life with a partner and their own house.
This seems very familiar to me. I did much the same.

Bear in mind also that "nomad" in this reference is singular. Nomadic tribes can and do carry appurtenances to make life easier and some of their "camps" are more like cities. They travel like the Roman army used to with "impedimenta" that included lavish furnishings, bathing facilities, complete kitchens, and stores of food. This is not to mention craftsmen, blacksmiths, and seamstresses.

Just because you're a nomad doesn't mean you can't be civilized.

catspa

Years ago, I worked in an industry with many "full-timers" like LB describes. Not only were they some of the happiest people I've ever met, but they came up with some ingenious ways of maintaining their comforts as they traveled.

It's not for everybody, and some of them did find a place they liked and put down roots, but it is one way to see a lot of places and meet a lot of new friends. Of course, it's easier if you've got scads of money...

Parker

Johnny

Sometimes it is hard to forget about the pleasures and conveniences of everyday life when you have such quality camping equipment but once you're left without it, I don't see how anyone can survive for too long in the "wild".

Grandpa

Sometimes it is hard to forget about the pleasures and conveniences of everyday life when you have such quality camping equipment but once you're left without it, I don't see how anyone can survive for too long in the "wild".
Knowledge is still more important than equipment. Think about it. The pioneers who came west in the 1800's with nothing but what they carried in their wagons and most of that was food to get them out here? And it was approaching winter when they did get here? They didn't have gore-tex, isopropane canisters or chainsaws.

FreeWilly

I agree with most. It might be fun to think about, but the reality is that it wouldn't be all that exciting when you're sitting their bored out of your mind. I can hardly stand my internet being out for even a couple hours so that way of life might do me in. :tinysmile_twink_t2: