Hot dogs

FreeWilly

How do you eat your hot dogs? My girlfriend is an odd girl. I've never seen anyone put so many condiments on a hot dog in my life. Off hand I remember her putting ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, tomato, avocado, garlic, pepper, and crunched up ruffles chips. She says thats how they do it where she is from. I only like ketchup on mine.

oldsarge

Ketchup, mustard, & onions for me. I have seen people pile on all sorts of stuff, just makes it harder to eat and masks the taste of the dog. Then again I had some pretty bad tasting dogs before that could have use some extra flavor.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I like Nathan's hot dogs done up Chicago Style. That's with tomato, onions, relish, mustard, hot peppers, and a pickle spear on top.

beemerphill

As long as there is no "fowl" meat in them, hot dogs are great. My personal choice is green relish and ketchup, but almost any topping is acceptable. Around here, Oklahoma, chili and chopped onion are popular.
In the service, "beanie weenies" was one of the favorite c-rations. Whoever opened the case would grab those for himself. I still like them, but make them at home, because the commercial ones use real cheap hot dogs.

:tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_grin_t:

ChadTower

Why even put the hot dog in there with all that stuff on it? It's not like you can taste it through onions, pickles, mustard, and napalm.

Little Kitty

I only like mustard on my hot dogs, I am not a big fan of ketchup. Where is your girl from, cause I am wondering what local thinks ruffle chips is a condiment. :) Sounds kind of interesting, though, and might lend a nice crunch to a hot dog.

ppine

Forester
You are making the assumption that everyone eats hot dogs. They are probably the closest thing to pet food that you can buy in a grocery store.

I still eat a Hebrew National hot dog once in a while or Johnsonville bratwurst.

Last edited:

limaker

I had a chilli cheese dog for lunch today, it was the best! My co-workers were a little green with envy when I returned smelling like the baseball stands but their lose. I asked if anyone wanted something before I headed out. :)

campclose

Pet food? No thanks! Wow, that is a lot of toppings/condiments some of you use. I prefer mine with ketchup, mustard and chili. Nothing beats a chili dog in my eyes!

Grandpa

You are making the assumption that everyone eats hot dogs. They are probably the closest thing to pet food that you can buy in a grocery store.
Well, they ARE pet food, at least Tank sure likes them.

Back in the FFA days in high school, we always had a field trip every year to a meat packing plant. Each trip, about half the students swore off hot dogs after seeing how and where they were made. Somehow, it just didn't bother me and I still like them. I didn't see a whole lot of difference between gutting a deer out in the sagebrush, watching the ticks evacuating the cooling body, and all that transpired getting that meat to the kitchen table, vs a guy in hip boots standing in all that squishy stuff scoop shoveling into a hopper with franks coming out the other end.

I've ate a lot of them over the years and none have made me sick yet.

ponderosa

Well I've never really cared for them and rarely eat one, but Grandpa's little description above is enough for me to swear off entirely. Mercy.

ppine

Forester
OldSarge,

You are right. You can live on pet food, but why would you if you don't have to? I announced to my partner one night I was going to make oxtails. She asked the same question as above.

oldsarge

Your right ppine, but maybe people like the taste. I've chowed down a few milk bones in my time, they are quite good. I'm talking the plain not the flavored ones.

catspa

I buy the hot dogs with cheese in them and eat them right off the stick.

Used to be, when I bought a new brand of cat or dog food, I'd eat a kibble or two just for curiousity. Never tried to live on it, but I have lived on corned beef hash, which smells like some canned dog food.

Parker

ppine

Forester
This is a great group to talk with because you are all free thinkers. I have sampled plenty of dog biscuits to see what they taste like. A friend of Dad's in graduate school when they had no money used to put small milk bone's on a plate with other canapes and covered them with cheese-whiz at parties. He thought it was hilarious.