New personal water purification system

timo5150

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and am very impressed. Its called Purificup. It has a lot of advantages over other systems but there are 3 things that really stand out to me and are the main reasons I bought it. 1 it not only filters but it purifies. 2 It removes heavy metals and 3 It removes pesticides. The last 2 were big ones for me because most of the mountain streams have mercury in them and all lower bodies of water have pesticides. I don't know of any other portable systems that do all that. It won't let me post a link to their page but you can search Purificup for more info. I know they have a Facebook page also.
Check them out I think its a really good system and it was actually a little less money than the pump system I bought that is a little less portable.
Timo

briansnat

Platnium Member
I've found little use for "personal water systems". Fill it up and if you run out of water on a dry spot on a trail you are out of luck.

I prefer filters where I can tank up and fill 3 or 4 liters in a few minutes, enough to last me a day in most situations.

If you're hiking in a desert, or along a northeastern ridge line you might not encounter even puddle of much of the day. With these personal systems you can be out of water in an hour and have no place to fill up. I see that the Purificup fits other bottles but it is apparently gravity feed so you can sit there quite a while trying to fill a single liter bottle. I can tank 2 liters up with my filter and be a half mile down the trail while the Purificup user is still on his first liter.

racoon

Maybe the Purificup is better for home use or ultra short camping or hiking excursions? I thought it sounded excellent, until I read the next post about filters.

hippieP

That is what I am wondering. Home use is a biggie for us. I still know people that drink tap water and I can not hack it. I am either buying bottled or I am hunting down a natural spring.

Grandpa

That is what I am wondering. Home use is a biggie for us. I still know people that drink tap water and I can not hack it. I am either buying bottled or I am hunting down a natural spring.
Our well water was heavy mineral so we used a brita fridge box. The same one worked for many years. We have a reverse osmosis installed now and to me the water is too pure.....as in tasteless.

The above purifier mentioned by timo has its place. It won't work in all places for everybody but knowing about it is valuable knowledge.

Lamebeaver

The flow rate is advertised as .2 liters per minute. I frankly have a hard time believing that. It claims to be a 1 micron filter.

My Katadyn Hiker has a 3 micron filter and will do 1 liter per minute using a pump to supply pressure.

Lamebeaver

Thanks for catching that Grandpa. I think I'll stick with my 0.3 micron filter instead of a 1 micron purifier.

Marshmallow

We've been looking to buy a home water purifier and have just begun to do our research, so this thread is helpful to us. We're more interested in a system at home because we do depend on bottled waters when we're camping.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
We've been looking to buy a home water purifier and have just begun to do our research, so this thread is helpful to us. We're more interested in a system at home because we do depend on bottled waters when we're camping.
We use a 10 micron prefiter with a 1 micron carbon block filter for drinking water and coffee pot. You have two filter housings with easily replacable filters under the sink. Cost about 100 new less installation and filter cost is 40 a year. If you live in a large city you will need filter change much more often.
It filters a quart of water in 15 seconds.