Rocks

JeepThrills

Does anyone collect rocks while they are out hiking? I use to like to pick up odd or unusual rocks that I would find along the way, but haven't done it in a while. The other day I found a real nice quartz, however, and now I'm getting interested in them again.

Lamebeaver

We have a running joke at our house whenever I go hiking

me "I brought you something"

wife "Is it a rock?"

me How'd you guess? - It's a pretty rock"

wife "Of course it is"

There are rocks all over our house. I also have made special shelves for rocks in the barn.

Some of them are quite interesting. Amethyst, various pegmatites, silver oxides and sulfides, tellurides, fossils, petrified wood, geodes, jaspar, obsidian, pumice, etc.

Joe S.

I have always been intrigued by rocks and my eyes are always scanning them when I am out and about. Occasionally I will pick one up that really catches my eye and that I want to be able to continue to admire.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I used to occasionally pick up some "intrestingly" colored rocks in rivers and streams in the Canadian Rockies.

When the moisture on them dried...they looked like plain, ordinary rocks...so I don't do that anymore.

One one particular occasion, I had one of my rare flat tires...twice, within a short distance. Both times the tires were punctured by sharp pieces of jade. I still have them as souvenirs.

back2nature

I have on occasion, if the stone isn't too heavy and is interesting enough. Usually this is only if it's amethyst or quartz that is special looking. I have yet to find a geode that I could carry although once I came across an enormous boulder and when I got around it, the entire back was all crystals.

Judy Ann

I once made my SIL get in a cold river to look for the perfect stone. Our feet were frozen when we exited with less than spectacular rocks, but the one I picked for her is heart shaped...maybe I'll give it to her soon! ;-) I'm looking for NC emeralds these days!

dinosaur

troublemaker
We have a running joke at our house whenever I go hiking

me "I brought you something"

wife "Is it a rock?"

me How'd you guess? - It's a pretty rock"

wife "Of course it is"
It occurs to me that since you have established a precedent, this would be an excellent way to fool your wife if, in the future, you have the means to purchase an expensive bauble for her as a gift. It would be most satisfying.

Lamebeaver

Good idea! I may have to use this in the future!

I've also "found" a nice bottle of wine cooling in a stream near camp....

ppine

Forester
I like to look for silicates- jasper, agate, thundereggs, etc. Sometimes there is obsidian around and projectiles points. Always be careful about collecting cultural materials.

Barney

:) I do it regularly and I have an impressive collection. But sometimes I have to restraint myself. Sometimes I would haul a few pounds of rocks.