Easiest Breakfast

littlefire

What is the easiest breakfast you take camping, that requires the least amount of preparation and makes the least mess? I would think something with bread would be idea.

Judy Ann

Oatmeal. Just add boiling water to the packet, wait a few minutes, add some raisins and nuts, eat right out of the packet, lick spoon clean, rinse with boiled water and stick in pack. Burn empty oatmeal packet or carry out in your trash sack. Quick and easy!

Grandpa

Oatmeal was my choice as well. Those packets are flavored so many ways and no muss, no fuss.

love2hike

Instant oatmeal or instant grits, whichever you prefer. Like Judy Ann pointed out, all you have to do is boil water and voila! - you have breakfast. :) We actually like both, so when we have oatmeal, we'll bring fruit/nuts to add to it, and when we have grits, we'll bring along pre-cooked ground sausage and sliced cheese to add to it.

carmen

Anything instant but we still love to make biscuits before we head out, pack them up and pre-make gravy. Just heat everything up when we get there and breakfast is set. That is our backup breakfast (after anything instant).

ppine

Forester
I agree with oatmeal. For hunting trips or early cow work, it helps to get going in the dark. I just boil water for oatmeal and use instant coffee which has improved a lot. I make a couple of sandwiches while the water is getting hot.

On a quieter morning I will brew cowboy coffee and cook breakfast.

Grandpa

Just curious....what the hell is muss anyway?
Thats what I like about you Sarge, your military training has taught you to stay away from muss to the point you don't even know what it is anymore.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

ponderosa

There's no arguing the convenience of oatmeal, but I hate instant oatmeal. I love good old fashioned rolled oats, but gag on the instant stuff. If I want to get out of camp in the morning without cooking, I usually have a PB&J on whole wheat and some fruit (dried or fresh), with milk or hot chocolate.
Another option with no clean up is the "omelet in a bag" trick. Put beaten eggs, cheese, and veggies in a ziploc freezer bag, and drop it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. You can fix the eggs in the bag the night before, and just heat water in the morning. Eat straight from the bag.
*I've seen several long, tedious online debates about whether or not chemicals from the freezer bag will leach into the food. I don't care either way. Make your own decision.

Sagebrusher

There's no arguing the convenience of oatmeal, but I hate instant oatmeal. I love good old fashioned rolled oats, but gag on the instant stuff. If I want to get out of camp in the morning without cooking, I usually have a PB&J on whole wheat and some fruit (dried or fresh), with milk or hot chocolate.
Another option with no clean up is the "omelet in a bag" trick. Put beaten eggs, cheese, and veggies in a ziploc freezer bag, and drop it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. You can fix the eggs in the bag the night before, and just heat water in the morning. Eat straight from the bag.
*I've seen several long, tedious online debates about whether or not chemicals from the freezer bag will leach into the food. I don't care either way. Make your own decision.
As long as the bag is not made in China you"ll be alright. Except they probably are. :)

oldsarge

Thats what I like about you Sarge, your military training has taught you to stay away from muss to the point you don't even know what it is anymore.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
I've been brain washed! How will I ever know how to recognize muss, I'll go through life dealing with muss and not even knowing it. Time to file a VA claim!

themanikin

i also like hard boiling eggs while camping to eat with oatmeal. i find it a real easy way to get a hearty breakfast

dinosaur

troublemaker
Just curious....what the hell is muss anyway?
You know, muss is in the dictionary. It just means "to make messy".

So if you don't want a muss, eat cold pizza like the rest of us for breakfast. It tastes really good after a night with too many beers.

hikeorbike

I would say that a box of cereal bars is best if you want to get real minimal. They don't tend to be very filling, though.