Dog Food Recall

JeepThrills

Is anyone keeping up with the Diamond pet food recall? It sounds like they are now recalling 10 different brands of dog food because of salmonela. I heard on the news earlier that they have known about this since at least the beginning of April.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I don't have a dog. But it seems like an animal that will eat grass, week old road kill, and it's own poo should be able to handle a little salmonella.

love2hike

I have two dogs and Theosus is right - it's crazy that an animal that can eat it's own waste can be taken down by salmonella... or worse yet, chocolate!

Seriously though, I haven't been keeping up with the recall. Do you know which brands have been affected?

back2nature

There have been far too many dog food recalls the past few years. If and when I get another dog, I'm going to feed mine a raw food diet, the way nature intended rather than dry chunks of who knows what.

Judy Ann

I don't have a dog. But it seems like an animal that will eat grass, week old road kill, and it's own poo should be able to handle a little salmonella.
Someone needs a puppy, something very smart like an Australian Shepard to change his mind about our 4-legged friends! :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Joe S.

I was not aware of this dog food recall situation, so thanks for posting this item. It does seem that there has been a rash of these kinds of incidents in recent years.

Grandpa

I did a search on Diamond. The recall is up to 14 brands now. So far ours is not on it.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Someone needs a puppy, something very smart like an Australian Shepard to change his mind about our 4-legged friends! :tinysmile_hmm_t:
I had a dog. Scratch that, my wife had a dog and I got stuck dealing with it. I no longer have a dog. I dislike dogs.

Cats suck, too.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I had a dog. Scratch that, my wife had a dog and I got stuck dealing with it. I no longer have a dog. I dislike dogs.

Cats suck, too.
To each his own.

I would like to say that few dogs will eat their own poo. I used to raise field trial beagles and when you found one that had that habit, you knew he was worthless. We got rid of them. If your wife had one, I can believe it was a piece of s**t. After all, you are what you eat.

I don't like cats either. They are the only animal I know of that will kill for sport other than some humans and I never had any use for them either. However, I've had some good cats. I have a ranch and always have barn cats. Storing hay has a tendency to attract mice. The cats take care of the problem. I like working animals.

My "dog" is a red wolf. He patrols the barn, kills coons, opossums, and stray cats but not my cats. He knows better. And his howl keeps the coyotes at a distance.

I don't think Theosus needs an attitude adjustment. He is just one of those people who can't abide a living ornament that serves no purpose other than its' existence. But it's more than an ornament you say? Right. You have to feed it, take it to the vet, walk it, clean up after it, replace its' divets when it digs up your yard or your garden, and in some cases put up with incessant barking.

ppine

Forester
Good dogs are like little Buddhas that teach us things everyday. My 15 year old Border Collie Bonnie is curled up next to me as I write this. We will be going for a walk today in the neighborhood to enjoy the spring. I am suspect of anyone that really doesn't like dogs.

carmen

This is why a few of my friends are starting to make their own dog food. I wish them all the luck in the world and told them if they find a fairly easy process to give me a shout. Recalls for everything lately are going nutty.

JeepThrills

The problem is not that the dogs are getting salmonella, it is the fact that people who touch the dog food or touch their dog (after it has ingested the tainted food) are getting salmonella.

Judy Ann

To each his own.

I would like to say that few dogs will eat their own poo. I used to raise field trial beagles and when you found one that had that habit, you knew he was worthless. We got rid of them. If your wife had one, I can believe it was a piece of s**t. After all, you are what you eat.

I don't like cats either. They are the only animal I know of that will kill for sport other than some humans and I never had any use for them either. However, I've had some good cats. I have a ranch and always have barn cats. Storing hay has a tendency to attract mice. The cats take care of the problem. I like working animals.

My "dog" is a red wolf. He patrols the barn, kills coons, opossums, and stray cats but not my cats. He knows better. And his howl keeps the coyotes at a distance.

I don't think Theosus needs an attitude adjustment. He is just one of those people who can't abide a living ornament that serves no purpose other than its' existence. But it's more than an ornament you say? Right. You have to feed it, take it to the vet, walk it, clean up after it, replace its' divets when it digs up your yard or your garden, and in some cases put up with incessant barking.
I can fully appreciate someone not caring to own pets. They are a responsibility, but not all of them are worthless. Dogs instinctively try their best to please their humans especially if raised right by an owner. Gotta run...mine has to get out and socialize!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Cappy

We have 2 bratty bichon frises that are kinda like our kids. we have more fun with them and they keep Peg amused when I'm on the boat. We started cookin' their food years ago. Bichons can have food alergies and one of ours does. By cookin' their dog food its lots cheaper than the fancy stuff and you control the ingredients. We usually make great big pot of chicken rice sweet potatoe, some greens etc. for just a few cents a serving and freeze it in 4 serving containers. It's good to know we aint gotta wory bout chinese toxins and we find it cheaper than most comercial feeds.