Anyone been up on a glacier?

cabinfever

I'm not much for snow, ice and cold, but I do think it would be pretty cool to walk across ice that's tens or hundreds of thousands of years old. Has anyone here ever done a trek like this?

ppine

Forester
Lots of times, but it is dangerous. Lots of cracks and crevasses in moving ice.

After some thought, mostly around glaciers, but usually not walking across them because it is too dangerous. I have visited the terminus (snout) of Carbon Glacier on Mt Rainier many times. Once we had some large rockfalls and chunks of ice land right next to us. Glaciers are dangerous and to be avoided if at all possible.

Last edited:

Reed

Why am I thinking of that show "Ice Road Truckers" all of a sudden? i would walk on ice like that with the right boots that have very good traction, but I wouldn't go too far out.

Judy Ann

Yes, right above the Coors brewery about 30 years ago. Hike up and ski down. I wish that I had that much energy today.

cabinfever

ppine - I have read enough to know that it's definitely dangerous, but I guess that can add to the excitement, don't you think? I wouldn't want to go without an experienced guide, though.

ponderosa - Thanks for that link. The photos are simply amazing!

campclose

Awesome link! No, I have never done this but I would love to after seeing those pictures! It seems a bit dangerous but so worth it! I don't even know where the nearest one is to me here in NY.

Greatoutdoors

I have never done it either, but after seeing my grandparent's pictures of their recent trip to Alaska I would really like to! Thanks for the link Ponderosa that was neat!

Grandpa

Nice set of pictures Ponderosa, thanks for posting that link.

I've looked down on glaciers from above, looked up at them from below but have never actually been on one. Really don't have any desire to cross one either. Too many cracks and fissures. I have, however, walked on year round snow pack many times.

Navigator

I've spent some time on glaciers, last January I spent several days actually camped on one in Patagonia. Most glaciers are moving, though very slowly, and therefore form crevasses, cracks in the ice that can be very deep and covered with snow. It is usual to travel on glaciers roped together with other climbers in case one should fall. Glacier travel can be a great deal of fun but definitely requires some training. There are a number of mountaineering schools that specialize in that. For an idea of what you would need to know check out Andy Tyson's book "Glacier Mountaineering", not a substitute for training but a good heads up as to what's involved.

Grandpa

I've spent some time on glaciers, last January I spent several days actually camped on one in Patagonia. Most glaciers are moving, though very slowly, and therefore form crevasses, cracks in the ice that can be very deep and covered with snow. It is usual to travel on glaciers roped together with other climbers in case one should fall. Glacier travel can be a great deal of fun but definitely requires some training. There are a number of mountaineering schools that specialize in that. For an idea of what you would need to know check out Andy Tyson's book "Glacier Mountaineering", not a substitute for training but a good heads up as to what's involved.
Navigator? Were you in the Patagonia group with Bruce and Ben M.? (last names omitted to protect the guilty):tinysmile_twink_t2:

ppine

Forester
I went to school at the U of WA with a guy that was climbing Mt St Elias on the BC/
AK border. He fell into a crevass and spent 12 hours upside down hanging on a rope. Finally his friends were able to rescue him. He lost all of his fingers and toes.

The most important thing about glacier travel is to be roped up with your companions and to learn how to self arrest. Then learn to probe each step for safe snow with an ice axe. It takes some fast reactions to stop a fellow climber that is free falling or you could be next. Glaciers often have deep layers of snow concealing the rifts, fissures and crevasses under neath. They are some of the most dangerous places that humans ever travel. Having a guide is no guarantee. Sometimes whole teams fall in together.

Campfire Girl

Glaciers are some of the most beautiful, natural formations I have ever seen but I have enough respect for them and desire for self-preservation to look and not touch.