Appellation trail

KeikoOka

Appalachian Trail

Hey guys! I just got home, I have been winter hiking the Appalachian Trail. I have always wanted to finish it, and would have rather done it in warmer weather, but it wasn't to bad. Who else has done it?

Last edited:

DThewanderer

I have only done small sections at a time. I want to do the whole thing eventually but it is just a bit to much for me at the moment. I figure I can hike a section at a time and still claim to have done it.

Jobiwan

My wife won't let me. Well, not all at once anyways. She will, however, let me section hike it. I'm trying to convince her into buying a motor home so she can follow along and be my support; i.e. supply drops, laundry, conjugal relations, so I can do it in one shot....Trying to convince her how important her support would be and that it would be like her doing it as well. So far, she's not taking the bait.... If I do convince her, it will be northbound.

KeikoOka

I did do the entire system, I finished up north. Jobi, I think it is a great idea for her to follow with a mobile home. There are places that you can meet up so she can see that you are safe and sound.

Refrigerator

I did do the entire system, I finished up north. Jobi, I think it is a great idea for her to follow with a mobile home. There are places that you can meet up so she can see that you are safe and sound.
How did you get to Katahdin in the winter when they close the Park early fall.

Refrigerator

Not only that but Ice on the trail is a problem and winter travel that far North you need serious supply of food and gear. Usual method is start North and end up south if you winter Trek. Your biggest obstacle then would be the Smokies above 5000 ft.
I e mailed At Troll over on White Blaze and he knows of no one who has claimed a Northern accent on Katahdin during the winter.

Send us some pics KeikoOka, I may be able to get those in a Magazine for ya with the AT Conservancy.

IndianaHiker

The Whites must have been very much challenging that time of the year as well. Looking at post history here there where many post made. Then post stopped on 8-31 then started again 3-28. If going Northbound those dates would make for some hard days weather wise. A northbound thru hike starting in Sept. and ending in March would make for some very nasty weather.

John13np

What if it was a drier year?

I don't know because I don't live out east, but I know I went on some trails here in AZ in the winter that some would say was impassible (only 2 foot of snow for no more than 2 miles). Last year, there was 10+ foot of snow in the same area and same time of year.

Jobiwan

I have pics of me on a part the AT/LT this winter from Dec until Feb at the 4 shelters before Maine Junction. I stayed at every shelter expect Cooper Lodge. According to my snowshoes, blogs, and memory, it seems that I was the only one at these shelters since Nov..The last entries were in November as well. You weren't at Tucker -Johnson around Mar 8th were you?

steves

What if it was a drier year?

I don't know because I don't live out east, but I know I went on some trails here in AZ in the winter that some would say was impassible (only 2 foot of snow for no more than 2 miles). Last year, there was 10+ foot of snow in the same area and same time of year.
Defiantly not a drier year here in the northeast, in fact it was very snowy and icy from December on. I was out in NH 2 weeks ago and even though the yards and roadsides were snow free I ran into 12"+ on a lot of trails and valleys still.

IndianaHiker

Wonder if we will hear back from KeikoOka? I really wasn't meaning to call this person out but a winter thru hike from what I have read is very rare if ever been down going north. Don't get me wrong I am not an expert on the AT. I have never hiked it. My knowledge comes for other hikers books, and trail data books I have read. I just always have been very interested in doing a thru hike and done a great deal of research in case I every get to.

KeikoOka

Well I have done those parts before. So I guess I can't truly claim to have done it all at once. I skipped Katahdin and was forced to stop when all that bad weather came in. Things were so icy and cold that it became clearly impossible. I had a great map so I chose lower elevation hiking as an alternative when ever I could. Anyway, that is why I started south bound, hoping as I got northbound winter would be at its tail end.

DThewanderer

Hehe, you can't claimed to have done it all at once if you spiked parts. Don't worry if you already did the other parts then you can still tell people you did the whole thing. Of course I think it was smart to stop and skip the worst parts. I had no idea there were lower elevation options, does that still count?

Judy Ann

I would love to hear about lower elevation options since pictures of Knife Edge tell me that my dreams don't correlate with my ability and are beyond my hiking level. If I did Saddle Trail I would still feel like I was checking off Katahdin on my bucket list.

Quite frankly at this moment I would probably be quite content to sit for a few days enjoying the view of the mountain and exploring the area with my dog. Does anyone know of a private camp in the immediate area. I found one to fly into, but it was a little above my means.

The storms in the northeast were bad this year and I can't believe that anyone would have the bug to hike/snowshoe/ski/whatever, the AT on a northern route this winter. Please post pictures. Maybe we have a new reality show in the making here. If not, all of your hard work could at least be poured over and be appreciated by all on this site. :)

KeikoOka

I will tell you more about it tomorrow when I would have had some sleep. As for pictures, I didn't take my digital camera. I used a disposable one and just got the prints back. I didn't think to get the CD with them. I got them done at CVS, think I could order the disk? I don't have a scanner, so how about Kinkos, do they let you scan there?