arrrrgh...decisions, decisions for a tripping canoe

dinosaur

troublemaker
Sorry for your dilemma. Mine's a Grumman 17ft.Std. I've packed it so full of gear I could barely see over the top of it to steer properly in tight waters. I've portaged it a half mile making trips back to get and reload my gear. I've had it on fast rivers, taken it across some pretty big lakes and through some swamps where you didn't want to lose it.

I had an Old Town once and it was a good canoe. My Grumman is better. Of course I have no idea where you're going on your major trip. Maybe you need a Laker. That'd be big enough to carry your gear. Heck, you could camp in it.

Just kidding, friend. I wish you luck and good fortune on your trip.

le Metis

The trip will start around late May, 2012. I'll be canoeing north on the rocky, and ledgy New River starting at the Mouth of the Wilson to the Ohio River, then west to the Mississippi, then south to take out in New Orleans.

To avoid Claytor lake, the plan is a 12 mile portage to the Little river which will take me back to the New. In West Virginia there will be another 9 mile portage to work around major rapids in the Gorge that an open canoe can't run. I've yet to count the number of portages on the Ohio....

At the start, I've about a dozen rapids to run, most are easy Class II's with the exception of Double Shoals, a 2.5 mile Class III boulder garden, and Foster Falls, a Class III/IV staircase rapid.

Thus, the canoe has to be light, agile, can take a beating on the rocks, and ledges, and able to carry at least a week's supply of food.....

WoodBender

One word...Royalex. Not as light as Kevlar, but it takes a beating better than any other material. If I'm going to do white water, that's my preferred material.

MendyUSA

Going alone?(147 Disco) Avg. time between resupplies? Agree with WoodBender ABS boats are bomb proof and pricey. Some polyethylene boats can be as durable as ABS but super heavy. It might be a good idea to put on some Kevlar skid plates.

hodo

I have a coleman 17 ft. had it loaded with over 600lbs. has a keel so it tracks straight, but can be hard with quick turns.
Doing the MS river... DO NOT go through Baton Rouge LA. Cancer Alley..
Memphis to Vicksberg, stay just outside of the eddy in the current, bardges will flip you over... other than this get with the Corp of Eng... they have damn placement maps, Game wardens are helpfull, and let me know when you leave...

ppine

Forester
Bon jour le Metis,
The Grand Portage on the Great Fur Trade route was nine miles, and everyone hated it. Better to try an easier route with fewer portages or paddle a lake if necesssary? A kevlar solo boat might be what you want for all that hiking.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

Ppine, this thread is almost a year old. Le Metis has extraordinary skills as an outdoorsman and I for one am looking forward to his TR. It will be interesting to see which canoe he settled upon.

wvbreamfisherman

Agreed! I like my 17 foot Old Town Acadia for river running, although it's NOT light, si portaging it would be a job.

I'm really looking forward to hearing his TR also. He came down the Kanawha at some point and passed within 100 yards of my back door.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't travel very far,
when all around me sinking boats are.

Hi...

I recently saw a web site (unfortunately, I don't remember where) that showed something that appeared to be a cross between a canoe and a kayack...and was VERY hard to tip. It had a triple hull, but was about the same size of a canoe/kayak.

Has anyone seen this before?

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

I think it was being discussed on bp. One of the guys was looking for a new yak, but maybe needed more space. It was a cool concept, but by the time I added up the bells and whistle options I figured I'd be better off renting from an outfitter!