Blade on You?

ChadTower

Now IMO the MultiTool/Leatherman is about the most useless thing ever invented.
I do have a couple of them in assorted glove boxes but do not depend on them in any way, shape or form.
Give me a good set of combo wrenches, a couple of screwdrivers and a pocket knife.
JMO,
DC

Kinda hard to carry all that around on your belt, though.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Now IMO the MultiTool/Leatherman is about the most useless thing ever invented.
I do have a couple of them in assorted glove boxes but do not depend on them in any way, shape or form.
Give me a good set of combo wrenches, a couple of screwdrivers and a pocket knife.
JMO,
DC
I have to agree with Coz on this one. As a service tech., I use hand tools for a living. I've found that multi tools do all they say they will but rather poorly. They are only slightly better than nothing, IMO. When I'm out hiking or backpacking, I don't have anything that would require the tools on a multi tool. And if I'm not hiking/backpacking, I'm not more than a few steps from my tool pouch/bag.

My EDC is an old SAK. Sometimes I'll throw in one of my Moras just because. While I have used them, I've never really needed the Mora.

Grandpa

After years and years of carrying a multi-tool, (and I still take a little cheap light model backpacking) the only of its many functions I have used is the pliers to lift hot pots. I could say something similar about a first aid kit but it seems I use the first aid kit a lot more than the multi-tool.

onlightgear

The multitool is great for camping but not for servicing your caravan in the middle of the desert. Get a good multitool when backpacking, it will prove useful, that's for sure.
Get a complete tool bag with screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, cables, screws etc when you go camping with your SUV or caravan.
It all depends on how much you can carry.

wvbreamfisherman

I always have a Buck Stockman, a Swiss Army Knife (I forget what model- but it has the indispensable little scissors), and a Gerber FAST clipped to my pocket. Different blades for different uses.

As far as multitools go, I have one of the original leatherman tools. the pliers are handy, but the steel is too soft to be useful for any kind of real use. When camping I take a small multi bit screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a 3 inch crescent wrench. Those will pretty much take care of any job.

CaverGroupie

Okay, I carry a Kershaw lock blade with a really pretty Damascus steel blade about 2-2.5 inches long. It's a little unusual for a woman, but I never break my nails trying to open anything.

It's the smallest useful knife you can get. Anything smaller won't really open packages, and anything bigger won't fit in a woman's pocket.
It was one of the two knives that my husband has given me over the years. My other favorite is a slightly smaller Spyderco that looks like a spider web. Really cool. Who says knives can't be functional and beautiful too.

What is an EDC?

Last edited:

Cappy

Been carrying a Gerber multitool since they were invented. The steleto style plyers are great cause the handles stay facing out and that makes them easy on the hands. The knife and serated knife are plenty for all but big jobs. I use the screw drivers and can opener too. Being a fisherman the needle noses are very handy. That works for me and it even goes to church in my pocket. camping I cary other things pending on the trip. usually a filet knife, and a cane knife is all I have ever needed. Since I aint planning on building a cabin or split a cord of fire wood I see no more need for an axe or hatchet than some of yall do for my multitool.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t That's what makes this a fun forum with differing openions. VIVA LA DIFFERANCE':tinysmile_fatgrin_t

IHeartDirt

I used to carry a Swiss Army knife - it had so many widgets that I never needed but not enough muscle. Lately I've been carrying a Gerber which is much heartier than what I had before.

Hikenhunter

I've been carrying this type of swiss army knife for as long as I can remember and on those very rare instances where I have left it behind you can darn well bet I have missed it. It has a 3 inch and a 2 1/2 inch blade, a can opener,bottle opener,2 slotted screwdrivers, a #2 phillips head screwdriver,an awl, tweezers, and a toothpick. Can't think of anything else I need to have. Victorinox Swiss Army Red Tinker and Pocket Sharpener Set at Swiss Knife Shop

Pathfinder1

Hikenhunter;

I've been carrying this type of swiss army knife for as long as I can remember and on those very rare instances where I have left it behind you can darn well bet I have missed it. It has a 3 inch and a 2 1/2 inch blade, a can opener,bottle opener,2 slotted screwdrivers, a #2 phillips head screwdriver,an awl, tweezers, and a toothpick. Can't think of anything else I need to have.

Hi...

Nice knife. I had one similar to that one, and the first thing I did with it was make a leather case for my belt. I also found out that the larger blade was apparently made of better steel than the smaller blade. The larger blade I could get sharp enough to shave with...the smaller blade, not so.

And, as with many things, it eventually 'disappeared'.

NicholasDuMonde

I too always carry my Gerber 06 Auto. 3.5" half serrated blade with a sturdy metal handle. I've had two issued to me and plan to use them for years to come.

I also carry one of my many Gerber multi-tools in my pack. I rarely use it, so it is kept in my "assorted tools" pocket: fire starting gear, flashlights/headlamps, solar panel, paracord, etc . . .