Foil pack campfire dinner

LittleLady

SO good! We cut the chicken and other ingredients at home, then took it in the cooler. no prep work. Nothing else needs to be on ice. Very easy, and it was really good. Enjoy!

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
2 onions, diced
1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
4 cloves garlic, sliced
4 small potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon, juiced

Directions
In a large zip-top bag, combine the chicken, onion, mushrooms, yellow pepper, red pepper, garlic, and potatoes. Pour in the olive oil and lemon juice, then mix well.
Evenly divide the mixture between 4 large sheets of aluminum foil. Top each with another sheet of foil, and roll up the edges tightly. Wrap each packet again, securely in another sheet of foil to double wrap.
Cook in the hot coals of a campfire until the chicken is opaque and the potatoes are tender, around 40 minutes.

Zack

That sounds good, Lady! Personally, I think everything you cook over a campfire should be wrapped in foil, with lots of veggies and seasoning. It keeps the seasoning and juices in, while keeping the wood ashes from the fire out. No one I know likes biting into a hunk of ashes.

RoyalAmbassador

Working Camper
Yes, the young men and boy's in our group love them. We call them silver turtles so many ingredients and so simple with very little prep or clean-up!

Luvoutdoors

Sounds good! I love the foil pack dinners because you can prep them at home and then place them in the cooler. That way after a full day of activities you can just toss it over the campfire and dinner is done!

LittleLady

Sounds good! I love the foil pack dinners because you can prep them at home and then place them in the cooler. That way after a full day of activities you can just toss it over the campfire and dinner is done!
Exactly! I just made them again yesterday. These really are addictive. Does anyone have other foil pack recipes they'd like to share. I'd like to get a collection of these going.

Luvoutdoors

Thanks for the link Southerngal. We tried two of those recipes this week and they were really good and easy too. Looks like good grilling weather here this weekend so we will be trying some more.

Grandpa

Another little trick you may want to incorporate into your foil dinners. After wrapping the meal with the first wrap, wrap it with wet newspaper then wrap with the second foil wrap. Make sure each foil wrap is tight enough to seal in moistures. The wet newspaper will keep your meal from having scorched spots.

Grandpa

When we are camping and the "herd" is coming, grandma likes to prepare all the basic separate ingredients at home. Each is placed in refrigerator dishes. With all the separate possibilities set out, everyone then makes their own dinner. ie, if you don't like onions, don't put them in. Everyone then writes their name on the packet with a sharpie. Kids get a bang out of making their own meal, watching it cook and when they try something new and don't like it, they keep quiet rather than whining when mom makes it.

Grandpa

If you like thick hamburger patties, make a hole in the center of the pattie. This helps it to cook even, so you don't have a raw spot in the center.

Grandpa

Grandma saves empty tuna fish cans for camping. Then when the kids come, they make tuna can pineapple cake.

lightly grease or pam the inside of the can
put a full round slice of pineapple inside the can

Grandma then mixes up a yellow cake mix and the kids each fill their can to about 2/3 full, wrap in foil and set on the grill, well above any flames for 15 minutes.

Remove from grill and set out to cool. Top with favorite icing, cool whip or just eat hot from the can. Kids love each having their own.

campfire

Grandma saves empty tuna fish cans for camping. Then when the kids come, they make tuna can pineapple cake.

Grandma then mixes up a yellow cake mix and the kids each fill their can to about 2/3 full, wrap in foil and set on the grill, well above any flames for 15 minutes.

Remove from grill and set out to cool. Top with favorite icing, cool whip or just eat hot from the can. Kids love each having their own.
Now that sounds good. I've never tried anything like that. I hope I remember to add it to my cooking out book. I think my people would like it.

Judy Ann

Great idea! I'll do that with the kids in a few weeks! I don't know how you stay slim with the great cooks in your life.

oldsarge

Did the same thing with Hamburger or sausage, fresh vegetables, seasoned and left to cook. Never tried the chicken recipe, but will soon enough, Thanks!!!