How many pictures?

limbs

When I go hiking I tend to take about 40 pictures. From those about half turn out nice and a handful are really great shots. How many pictures do you take?

firedancer

I've found that the more I get into photography, the fewer pictures I take. I used to snap away at everything but now I am more thoughtful and try to take time composing a shot. On a vacation, I probably take about 40 a day and then only half of those get published to my online photo albums.

TrailWeaver

TrailWeaver aka Deborah
When I go hiking I tend to take about 40 pictures. From those about half turn out nice and a handful are really great shots. How many pictures do you take?

If I am in a place that is new to me, I probably take 30 - 50 photos a day, with less than half of them being keepers. However, if I have been to the place, or one much like it, several times before I'm more selective. In that situation I will usually start looking for more detail photos. I love macro photos.

IndianaHiker

Well you would have to look at my photos to see what good and what isn't. I usually take about 50 to 60 photos on a weekend and not very many get deleted. Less then 5 or so. However I do have an advantage in that I have years of experience with a camera. Even using a cheap point and shot time is taking in setting up the shot and the lighting when ever possible. Having done this so much I can pretty much tell what the photograph will like like before I snap the shutter.

Just wish I could find a good safe way to backpack with my good DSLR and have it accessible while moving. Anyone here find a good solution for this.

Kepper

Wanderer
I tend to take a lot. 100+, but that is because I like to play with exposues and focal length for effect. This is especially true with moving water and low light situations. Last July in Kentucky I snapped 300+ one day, but the hike was purposely to photo waterfalls. If mike primary goal is to hike then 20-50.

calanta

I am still learning with a new camera that I really need more practice on but I would guess a ton. Maybe half turn out right but since I got the tripod I am hoping for some better shots on the next trip out.

Grandpa

In a new area, I usually take quite a few, but on repeat trips, the number drops drastically. When reviewing, I delete any bad ones but put the rest on cd's. Then I review those and only the best get printed for the albums. But I'm really not into the photography thing by going out of my way or waiting somewhere for the perfect lighting.

IndianaHiker

Judy Ann

Something like this might work.

Camera Harness | Camera Shoulder Harness | Camera Body Harness | Camera Chest Harness

There are other chest harnesses on the market, but I have not tried any.

The on in the link looks like it might not interfere with your backpack.
I would not want to have the camera exposed to elements or bouncing around on my chest. I wonder if a hip holster type setup might not be more conducive for safely removing a camera with a long lens?

briansnat

Platnium Member
It depends. I can shoot off 40 shots of a scene that I like, using different exposures and framing. Other times I might only take my camera out for a shot or two.

oldsarge

Isn't technology great? Remember when you had to actually develop pictures? How many were wasted because you either didn't like them or they didn't turn out. Digital cameras are the best in my opinion, you can snap away like a mad man the delete at will and then go at it again.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Just wish I could find a good safe way to backpack with my good DSLR and have it accessible while moving. Anyone here find a good solution for this.
the DSLR thing sounds great to me... I don't know if I will talk myself into the weight though. ThinkTank makes various DSLR holsters that fit on a belt, so they ride on your side. Lowepro makes a great bag, the adventura 140 that opens quick if you just leave the zipper open and snap the flap shut. But when I pick up my canon t1i in it's bag, and then pick up my wife's point and shoot in it's bag (that is the size and weight of a pack of cards), there's no comparison. I know the dslr gives me better pictures, and they are RAW instead of jpg, so I can manipulate them better. But I'm not Peter Lik, I'm not on a NG shoot... I think I can bare with the p&s images, just to keep weight down.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Just got back from another week of backpacking with my DSLR. I don't backpack without it. What I have found that works just as you have asked is;

Start with an Op/Tech Bino/Cam Harness and find a good bag that holds your camera. Attach your bag to the harness. I'm with Judy Ann; don't carry the DSLR unprotected, banging around on the rocks and possible precip. At least mine would be destroyed on my trips if I didn't have it in a case. The bag is on your stomach/chest and all you have to do is upzip the bag and take the camera out while walking with your full backpack on.

I have been using The Eagle Creek Scout bag for years with the harness (take off the shoulder strap that comes with it). It holds my DSLR with superwide lens and another macro lens as well as my notebook, pen and spare battery and flash cards. The waist belt secures it from swinging around when walking and climbing. There are many kinds of bags that would work for this system, just find the one you like.

This system has worked for me for years and many trips. The camera is now 7 years old, has been on countless backcountry trips and is still going strong. That case does have some padding too. In hard rain I put it all inside my pack but that is not very often.

As to the original question; how many images I make depends entirely on the place I'm backpacking. There are some destined to be artsy shots but I also do journalistic shots shots that record and are not meant to be "the best". Some days that might mean 5 shots and other days it might mean 100. Some are the same scene with various angles or I might go back for better light later in the day if possible. Last week it was 333 shots in three major locations over 7 days. I'll normally get about 50 to 70 journal shots out of that and maybe somewhere between half and dozen to a dozen good solid art shots. I have gone through and marked some of the shots I'm going to work on but have not had the time to process any yet. In two weeks they should all be done and the journal printing begun.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Wow 300 pictures? I took around 500 on a seven day Disney trip. Hated going through them though. Took way too many. But after getting rid of all but the best I was happy with what was left. If you get home and still have a little room on the card, you didn't take too many. Landscapes are my favorite. Kids lose interest. Grandfather mountain will just sit there while you make things perfect.

wvbreamfisherman

I take a lot, save almost all of them- CD's are cheap. I've sometimes I'll find ones that I really liked right after I took them don't impress me later on, and vice versa.

Bojib

I probably take 10-20 on any day trip these days, if that many.

I used to take lots more, but I got to a point were I felt as though I was spending more time trying to get pictures than enjoying the area I was in.