Some beginner items?

cityslicker

I feel pretty horrible about asking such a question that I am about to ask. I am looking at getting new items for hiking/camping. Christmas is getting closer!

I normally research everything but I thought I might ask everyone on this board as a 'pre-study'. My work is planning a trip in the Spring for a 15 mile moderate hike and camp on a trail. One of the people going has been on the trail already, so he is pretty familiar with the trail. Most of the people who may go are sit down job people.

The deal is that most people are not going to have many (if any) items to bring. I need to create a letter to everyone to simply suggest things they need to stock up on now.

So the question that I hate to ask since it is such a typical un-educated question, what items should a beginner have on a 15 mile overnight hike/camp?

The person who drew my name for X-mas is willing to spend 100-120 on me. Is there anything worthwhile on Amazon that I could grab now that is of a good brand that could fit in that budget?

omegapd

Will tents be needed or is there a place you'll actually stay? Same with food items and extra clothing. If someone is driving a truck loaded down with backpacks, food, extra clothes, etc. while you guys hike behind, that'll sway a lot of the answers here.

A good flashlight and a good pair of hiking boots will definitely be a good start.

wvbreamfisherman

Good boots would be #1. Can't hike w/o boots.

The rest is really logistics. Is this an out and out backpacking trip? If so you'll need a pack (obviously), clothing appropriate to the anticipated conditions, food, sleeping gear, rain gear, cooking gear, and misc. stuff like first aid kit, map and compass, etc.

Since this seems to be a group trip, you need to decide who in the group will bring (and carry) what items. Get together well ahead of time, make a list (including a menu, so you'll know what to buy and how much it will cost and weigh), and divide up the responsibilities for the group items. Tent(s), stove(s), water filter, cookset(s), etc.

Then decide what you'll need at a minimum for your personal gear. Some time spent planning ahead of time will save you a lot of heartache.

charley

This 15 mile overnight beginner trip for desk folks sounds like an oxymoron. If this is a backpacking trip 15 miles is a long distance for 2 days for beginners. It is expensive to go out and buy a whole backpacking outfit. Some backpacking equipment can be rented. Going in a group, you can share things such as cooking gear. If you are not really backpacking but hiking as well as camping, thats different.
As far as what to buy in that price range, I would look at your needs. A good sleeping bag or hiking shoes would fit in that price range. Thats not much for a tent but more than I spent on any of mine. You would probably spend more than that on a pack but then again, I didn't. If you need them there is always cooking kits and stoves. You could spend that much or more on a sleeping pad. Good luck and have fun.

charley

I went back and reread your op and see you ask, what gear does a person need. If it is a backpacking trip you will need a backpack , a sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tent which you may be able to rent or borrow. You will also need food, a way to cook it, water, a way to filter and carry it. If you don't already have them you will need clothes, boots, etc for hiking in whatever weather you will have. Then there are all kinds of extras such as first aid kit, map, compass, lights, book, and snacks.

cityslicker

So, with all said, it sounds like it might be more expensive than I thought. I thought for maybe some reason, it might be a much simplier trip since the trail is already laid out and I had thought we might be passed by some people if something came about. The camp grounds are reservable, so there is an area where they want you to camp out at.

I know shoes were going to be special as I agree that those are what you are walking in all day long so they should be comfortable. For me personally, I'd love to have my own gear to build up so I can practice walking with it and setting up in my yard so I'm not "that guy" when the day comes.

I thought I might ask, but anyone recommend a good tent?

IndianaHiker

Going on assumption that you are backpacking and needing to be self sufficient meaning no food or potable water where you are going to. Here is what I would pack. Not what I carry may not work for everyone.

1. Backpack

2. Sleeping Bag. I normally bring a 30 degree bag year round and adjust with layers of clothing.

3. Sleeping pad There again depends on temps. If the weather is over 50 degrees I normally use an a pad that is not insulated. However in the spring you may still want a pad that is insulated or a Closed Cell pad. This is due to the fact that if early spring air temp maybe warmer than ground temps.

4. Shelter: I haven't used a tent in a couple of years and don't plan on going back to one. I use a light weight tarp or I cowboy camp if it is a dry night.

This makes up what many will refer to as the big four. This comprises of most of the weight and most of the expense. My big 4 is under 8 lbs 7 if I leave tarp and hammock out. I have invested about $560 bucks. The second larges t expense is boots or shoes. I have recently stopped using boots and have got a nice backpacking shoe Solomon. Very comfy half the weight of boots and at $140 not as expensive as most boots I have used on the past.

Other stuff or Crap to make your pack heavier.

1. Extra clothing. Many don't but I always like to have an extra set of cloths. Honestly I have never needed them but having them provides a comfort level in case I fall in a creek or something.

2. If you go in early spring may need some kind of base layer. I use a cheap on from Walmart that works well. It is there Starter Brand.

3. Kitchen for me is a cheap but kind of heavy canister stove. Made by Coleman cost involved 25 buck. However there are many way to make a stove at little to no expense. Look on youtube for backpacking stove lots of cool stuff there.

4. Meals and Food. I personally do Mountain House or Enertia Brand. They are very simple just add boiling water. This cost between 6 and 12 bucks for each meal depending on the brand and what entree you get. Many people cook on the trail or purchase stuff from a local grocery store that you can just add boiling water to. For that I have friends that get things like hamburger helper dump the noodles and seasoning in a freezer bag and just use that for the boiling water. Works and cheaper just have something packed to hold the freezer bag with when you add the water.

Here on meals is where most everyone wont do what I do. I never eat much I just bring a snack such as power bars, and trail mix, and snickers to eat during the day. I only eat a meal at night. However I don't recommend that. I do this as I tend to just eat one meal a day on a daily basis. 5.

5. Water: Will want to see if there is water available in streams where you are going. I carry a MSR Mini Works filter so I don't have to carry as much water. However the pump will cost you about 80 bucks. Another option that works well is get a packet of the tablets for water. AuqaMira I believe is the name of the ones that I have used. Work well very to no taste. Only draw back is that you may still have grit in the water and they did need at least 20 minutes to work. However the grit can be avoided by carrying something to filter the water with for example a coffee filter.

My Pack

Tarp

Pad Sleeping

Sleeping Bag

The links above will show what gear I carry when I go out.

You may want to see if there is any where you have the option of renting gear as others have mentioned. If you have an REI near you the almost always rent gear. This is getting long so going to end for now. Feel free to send me a message of I can be of any help to you.

nbostic

I went on a bachelor party backpacking trip of similar mileage just a few months ago. Many of the guys in the group were desk job guys too, so I was able to make a few notes.

As everyone else has suggested, shoes are #1. Just behind that are the socks. Warm, wicking and padded are must-haves.

Some people went with hammocks which were lighter and smaller than tents, but also cooler to sleep on and some people said less comfortable than a pad.

Otherwise, pull out everything you think you need for clothes and food and put away half of it.

I personally use one of these tents: Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 XL Two-person Tent (looks like I can't post a link to it since I'm new, but google it. I got mine from the second result since it was the best price I could find.)

It worked great, two of us fit into it (so another person didn't have to buy a tent too) and it was pretty lightweight for the price.

A water filter would be a must too if there'll be water sources. That way you don't have to carry extra weight.

As for food, our group split into thirds. 1/3 brought food to prepare and cook, 1/3 brought camping food that required just heating, 1/3 brought stuff that required no work. For a couple of days, even perishable items like meats and cheeses will survive. The people who brought "real food" to prep and cook all regretted it. Cooking requires stoves and fuel, but camp food is super lightweight. Non cooking requires more weight in food, but you lose the stove and fuel.

My biggest investment after the trip was a new sleeping bag because mine was just far too heavy.

Judy Ann

I asked the same questions 18 months ago when I started out camping. You can wear any comfortable walking shoe and may want to consider renting everything else as already suggested until bitten by the bug that keeps you away from home most weekends.

I need my coffee in the am. I can survive without food until 11am, but the ability to boil water was a necessity so my JetBoil was the first major purchase I made. Easy to use for a newbie and after 100 + days out is still going strong. It only boils water at one speed so I would suggest the basic unit. You will not go thirsty or hungry with this one piece of equipment.

Good luck!

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I looked at the topo there - you need to do this elsewhere. This is NOT a trail to do with desk job folks unless you want them to hate backpacking.

For a first backpacking trip look for something with low miles (2-4 per day) and little elevation gain.

TDale

Duct tape. It repairs anything broken, waterproofs tears in waterproof things, and in the best blister treatment you can get. Sounds like you'll need it.

ejdixon

Get a good pair of boots and a good pair of trekking poles. If you're just a beginner, take some time to do some short hikes like what was mentioned earlier in order to prepare you for your upcoming hike. Have fun!

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
An overnight beginner trip? Why not skip some weight and expense and take food you don't have to cook. Gut some mre's for the good stuff and the heater, and bring other non-heated food (or go somewhere that allows a camp fire). of course if you intend to go again and again a stove and pot would be a good investment.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Food, shelter, and clothing are always the essentials. Pay attention to IndianaHiker. He's been at it for a long time and knows what he is talking about.

Duct Tape is a good idea but it's bulky and you don't want to carry a full roll of it. Baling wire and string will cure a lot of ills. Don't forget toilet paper. Take about a third of a roll. A good knife is extremely important. You can whittle utensils you forgot to bring, cut poles and splints, make tent poles and stakes, cut your food........ad infinitum. Don't forget your mess kit. Check the high and low temps for the area. If you're going in the Spring it tends to get chilly in the evenings. A rain jacket is not a bad idea either. You might want to be certain your backpack is waterproof also.

Another one is clean dry socks. If you walk a good distance, your feet are going to sweat. Take a break and put on a clean pair of socks. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel. Take some energy snacks. You'll be burning more calories than you are used to doing.

About a month before you go, start taking some long walks or bicycle rides and wear the shoes you're going to use on the hike. You'll be in shape for it then.

Hiking and camping are not for the weak, the unprepared, or the unaware. If you want to avoid being "That guy" give some thought to the things you'll need. If you're cold, hungry and unable to sleep, you'll be miserable. Take what you need.

Pathfinder1

beginner items

I ususlly don't trek very far,
when all around me beginners are.

Hi...

Will there be one person preparing the all the food? Or, will each person be doing their own food preparation?

The answers to the above will dictate what kind of cooking gear is necessary, and what types of food the group or individuals should bring; also, what utensels to cook and boil water in.

IndianaHiker

Food, shelter, and clothing are always the essentials. Pay attention to IndianaHiker. He's been at it for a long time and knows what he is talking about.

Duct Tape is a good idea but it's bulky and you don't want to carry a full roll of it. Baling wire and string will cure a lot of ills. Don't forget toilet paper. Take about a third of a roll. A good knife is extremely important. You can whittle utensils you forgot to bring, cut poles and splints, make tent poles and stakes, cut your food........ad infinitum. Don't forget your mess kit. Check the high and low temps for the area. If you're going in the Spring it tends to get chilly in the evenings. A rain jacket is not a bad idea either. You might want to be certain your backpack is waterproof also.

Another one is clean dry socks. If you walk a good distance, your feet are going to sweat. Take a break and put on a clean pair of socks. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel. Take some energy snacks. You'll be burning more calories than you are used to doing.

About a month before you go, start taking some long walks or bicycle rides and wear the shoes you're going to use on the hike. You'll be in shape for it then.

Hiking and camping are not for the weak, the unprepared, or the unaware. If you want to avoid being "That guy" give some thought to the things you'll need. If you're cold, hungry and unable to sleep, you'll be miserable. Take what you need.
Thanks for the kind words dinosaur. You point about socks is so very true. Lord knows that before I started backpacking if you had told me that I would spend almost 20 bucks on a pair of socks would have laughed at you. However now that I have started wearing Smartwool, and Therlo socks I find that I don't wear cotton socks even for daily wear now. Good wool socks and an extra pair go a long way to increased comfort.