Spelunking, Anyone?

Mandy

Do we have any cavers out there? I love exploring caves. I think they are so beautiful. I love going to Ruby Falls or Mammoth Cave but I most enjoy the smaller less explored caves. They are definitely my favorite.

jason

fear no beer
I would love to go. Not many caves here in Florida. I do believe there are some up north near the pan handle though. Lots of underwater caves though if you scuba.

WileECoyote

Not me. I'm claustrophobic so I prefer the wide open (emphasize open) spaces. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t I love the wide outdoors and all points therein. I would rather climb (and I can't do that either) than go caving.

Chris

Me too WileECoyote!! I can't stand to be cooped up that close. I know it is unreasonable to be that way but I have always been afraid of closed in spaces and even have trouble in elevators. You should have seen me when they did an MRI. They had to knock me completely out before I could stand it.

popupgirl

I really want to give it a try. I'm wondering if you go on your own or if there are tours? How do you know you are safe if you go on your own? I'm going to do some research and see if there are any near me.

Flannelshirt

I am so horribly claustrophobic that this is the last thing that I would ever want to do. Maybe if it was a huge cave, I'd go in.

Adventurelover

I used to be afraid of caves until I went to some near San Antonio, Texas. They are called Natural Bridge Caverns. I got myself so wound up before going I almost didn't go. Once I got down in them I was amazed! I don't know of any caves around me or I would go.

trader

This is something I definitely I want to do before I die. I've got a thing about heights, so this would be the perfect climbing experience for me.

outdoors Joe

I've gone caving since I was young. Starting out, I went with my father, but then a group of my friends and I started going. We explored every cave we could find. The only part I don't like is crawling through the small spaces.

Charlene

You definitely don't want to go by yourself even if you are experienced. People fail to realize that the drops in between the cracks can be quite deep. I've been in some with 200ft. drops. The cavern provides an illusion that the fall is not deep. Go with a group that knows what they are doing.

Adam

I haven't tried it yet, but this is definitely on my to do list. The more I hear about it, the more fascinating it sounds.

incavenow

I'm an experienced caver and live in Lafayette GA. Some really great caves here and nearby. There are a couple of great caving groups in the area who go on regular trips and are wonderful people when it comes to helping the newcomers.

Erwin

I may have to make a trip your way then. My wife is fascinated by caves and I have always wanted to take her on a trip, but didn't know where to go that would be friendly to newbies like us.

caveman

Caving is very dangerous and is not something you should do alone or without someone with experience.Wild caves are very easy to get lost in .There is sometimes breakdown (piles of rock ) that can be dangerous because it will shift when you climb over it .Not to mention mud and wet rock that is very slick .I was in a cave in sothern indiana once and found a church group that had gotten lost and split up . Caving is GREAT but it can be very dangerous .Don't mean to repeat myself but this is a point that should be understood and realized before you go in because after you are inside is to late .

Camoguy

Sorry, claustrophobic here too. I don't do closed in spaces at all. It's OK for you guys but I'd rather fight a bear than to go below ground. I couldn't stand being on a boat if I was down below. No cruise ships for this guy I tell you.

Jade

If you ever make it North in to Western Canada, there's some really really neat caves up an area of Vancouver Island, in the vicinity of Holberg and Zeballos. There's some really cool aboriginal lore about the caves too, as well as about some of the surrounding lakes.

Mustangsmith

Have not done alot of cave walking, a few small ones but nothing really to talk about. My dad tells a story about him and his brother in Mo. The ground gave way under my dad. The hole was just big or small enough to catch him by his arm pits. They droped rocks and things down the hole after he got out of it. He says they never heard them hit the bottom..

D Bish

Caves in Colorado.

Do we have any cavers out there? I love exploring caves. I think they are so beautiful. I love going to Ruby Falls or Mammoth Cave but I most enjoy the smaller less explored caves. They are definitely my favorite.
Mandy, Since you like Mammoth I assume you are in the Southeast but if you are interested in traveling to Colorado we have some interesting caves to explore. Marble caves are about 15 miles south of my home. I live in Silver Cliff, CO. There are about 5 caves in the system and they are located at about 11,500 ft elevation in the Sangre de Cristo mountains on Marble mountain. They are largely unexplored but have a very exciting lore attached. D Bish

D Bish

Mandy, Since you like Mammoth I assume you are in the Southeast but if you are interested in traveling to Colorado we have some interesting caves to explore. Marble caves are about 15 miles south of my home. I live in Silver Cliff, CO. There are about 5 caves in the system and they are located at about 11,500 ft elevation in the Sangre de Cristo mountains on Marble mountain. They are largely unexplored but have a very exciting lore attached. D Bish

MtMakiling

I love spelunking. I've been to a few of them and they were the kind of unexploited ones with ancient jars half buried hinting a sign of occupation probably during the stone age. The only thing that is that they were too dark even with a torch and I'm night-blind. I need a search light. :D