Doomsday Preppers

Lamebeaver

this happened then and what do you think would happen today?? Maybe a blink of lights and whooohoooo the technology has advanced so much we will have power back up in seconds....get real ....If this happened today...ha I would not want to in a big city.

IPS - Space Weather - Power Failure in Canada During 1989
Yeah, that one lasted a whole 9 hours. So the power would be back on just about the same time you finished digging up that last barrel of supplies.

Lamebeaver

you say 911 killed a bunch of people and you don't remember any hardships.... Oh man your really cool. I for one had a really bad hardship as my Uncle and his wife and son were there and lost there lives. You need to read this unless you think this is not happening as well.. Casualties of the September 11 attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When this happened for the next 72 hrs I believe the majority of AMERICANS were glued to a TV or Radio, Newspaper...so this in your thinking caused no particular hardships.... Are you a veteran? How many Kids did we send to die or injured fighting in Iraq? I wonder if you know how many... ???
1. It was a localized attack, with localized casualties. Explain to me how hoarding weapons and supplies would have prevented any of the 911 casualties....

2. Explain to me how 911 had anything to do with the war in Iraq. Are you confusing Iraq with Afghanistan?

Lamebeaver

Now if this would happen within my electric grid wholaaa..I would not give it a thought of hardship because I am prepared with everything it will take to feed my family, Dogs, including power and personal protection just in case anyone wanted to take my catch.....and exercise my GOD given right to bear arms... I would be ready...although some might be ready with just a flashlight hoping the toilet would fill back up with fresh water..

Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11 people died in that one, which didn't last that long either. Of course one fell off a roof while looting a store.

In typical day, over 80 people die in traffic accidents in the US alone. Once again, a short disruption like this is hardly reason to start stockipling weapons and supplies.

Yeah, life was rough, the popsicles almost thawed out.

Lamebeaver

I would like to inject a question changing the subject a little..
Has anyone heard anything about Russia sending troops along the North Eastern Border of IRAN? Russia Is Massing Troops On Iran's Northern Border And Waiting For A Western Attack
It must be true. They're talking about it on all the kookball conspiracy theory websites, like this one:

https://lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-Russia-Is-Massing-Troops-On-Iran-s-Northern-Border-And-Waiting-For-A-Western-Attack--161204

Try getting your news from a more reliable source.

Refrigerator

11 people died in that one, which didn't last that long either. Of course one fell off a roof while looting a store.

In typical day, over 80 people die in traffic accidents in the US alone. Once again, a short disruption like this is hardly reason to start stockipling weapons and supplies.

Yeah, life was rough, the popsicles almost thawed out.
you are miising the point..I won't be the one who has fallen...whats in your closet?

oldsarge

911 killed a bunch of people and grounded civil aviation for a while. I don’t recall any particular hardships.
I don't believe there will be one major event that shuts down everything. It's the trickle down effect of these events in the long run. 9-11 didn't just shut down aviation. The hotel and food industry took a hit also. I know a lot of people in the chicago land area who had to close up shop. How many people lost their jobs cause nobody was traveling. Maybe not enough to effect you but the economy was effected over all. In the welding shop I worked at we noticed that major company's (steel mills, refineries)were holding back on maintenance due to not knowing what the future is going to bring. My point here is that any major disruption in society will trickle down and effect others. Especially if you live near highly populated areas. I'd much rather be out in the country and prepared than have to fight the masses when they panic.

Refrigerator

1. It was a localized attack, with localized casualties. Explain to me how hoarding weapons and supplies would have prevented any of the 911 casualties....

2. Explain to me how 911 had anything to do with the war in Iraq. Are you confusing Iraq with Afghanistan?
1. You miss the point...weapons and supplies at ground zero would be worthless as we as a Nation in our relaxed FAT way of life think this would never happen to us.. Oh yes.. a Nation not prepared.

2. Well tell my son who I don't bring up much who is a disabled Veteran....911 changed his life and if you take a really good look...your life has changed. My thinking is 911 and the decisions we as a Nation, and we did have a major consensus to go to war with Iraq both Democrat and Republican made the choice to go to war. Now we cannot go back and change our thinking but we can prepare for what ever disaster is before us and have the basic necessities to stay alive like food and weapons.
Your freedom was won with GOD GUNS and GUTS of all those who served....
It's not about having the stock piles at ground zero...it's what we didn't see coming. I am prepared and not thinking the way I did before 911.
I'm not going to say it here, but will say many who are prepared, want people to think like you. I can explain in person my point as I will be in Colorado(Denver next weekend).

FEMA tells us to prepare but I didn't need FEMA to tell me that.

Refrigerator

Yeah, that one lasted a whole 9 hours. So the power would be back on just about the same time you finished digging up that last barrel of supplies.

Nope... your not in the least funny. Our home has enough food alone for a month maybe 2 if we need to stretch. What's in the safe will not be touched until one second after it's too late for you.

oldsarge

Just because events in the past didn't effect enough people to sell you on being prepared. You can look at them a small indicators as to what could possible happen. Not saying they will. We all prepared financially for our future, we all way the options in everything we do, buying insurance for cars, home, health & life. This is just another form of insurance.

I was not one who prepared for Y2K, I just didn't see it happening, had my reasons and ran with it. Took the gamble on that one and won. Can't say much for those who experienced Katrina, who would have thought that could happen? I sure as hell didn't. I'm sure at one point many people lost hope until long overdue help arrived. How about Tsunami victims, think more people are preparing the best they can for another event like that. I think they are.

Lamebeaver

I give up.

Go ahead and prepare for things that are highly unlikely to happen. I'll stick to common sense and realistic preparation.

ChadTower

The thing that does worry me personally is the stockpiling of weapons. People say they are not afraid but they think mobs are going to storm their property. That sounds like fear to me. I start to lose faith in the "purely survivalist prep" mentality when the next thing out of someone's mouth is "let them try to come take my stuff - I have enough ammo to lay them all down for good".

dinosaur

troublemaker
Wow! I posted yesterday morning on this string and it seems like eons ago. It was just before the fridge went on a rant. Please don't get me wrong, Refrigerator. I agree with almost everything you posted and I too lost several people I knew at the World Trade Center.

I also agree that Iraq was a direct offshoot of the 9/11 attacks and, as I recall, at the very least there were several terrorist training camps located in Iraq.

I did have a plan for Y2K. I was going to go out and capture a good supply of attorneys since they would serve no purpose if there was a breakdown of government, and use them for put-and-take hunts charging obscene fees for taking one.

How does that thaw your popsicle, lamebeaver?

shaun

It's already happening. Obama seizes control over all food, farms, livestock, farm equipment, fertilizer and food production across America
You should read all what this bill will do and has control of. I'm ready....You ready?
This is nonsense and scaremongering. Obama defends the rich, he is on their side. He has no interest in seizing control of the economy. You do realize the rich who own the economy funded and supported his campaign, they are not stupid.

Refrigerator

Lamebeaver/ Only in America can we disagree and literally fight among ourselves, but let another foreign person,country inflict wounds on any American comrade and we are like one. I am proud to be American and darn proud your a part of it. Thanks for your input as I have noted your opinions and statements.
Peace and happiness to you and your family. I will be in Colorado next weekend and will buy you Dinner and a nice couple of Beers if you do indulge.

Sagebrusher

As long as we are talking potential catastrophes, what about a pole shift causing the plates to shift and those areas become inland seas? As a farmer who flood irrigates, it is amazing how a good stream of water can decimate a gopher population.
Which pole? The magnetic pole slowly changes position all the time, and occasionally reverses.

If you are talking about the geographic pole, that is the axis of rotation. It takes a LOT of energy to shift that, because to shift it means to shift the ENTIRE earth, all 6,600 million trillion tons of it. Even giant 9.0 earthquakes only shift it a few inches. Here's something that might shift the earth a few hundred or more miles....a 300 mile wide asteroid hitting at orbital velocities...

Miracle Planet - Asteroid Collision - YouTube

Lamebeaver

Lamebeaver/ Only in America can we disagree and literally fight among ourselves, but let another foreign person,country inflict wounds on any American comrade and we are like one. I am proud to be American and darn proud your a part of it. Thanks for your input as I have noted your opinions and statements.
Peace and happiness to you and your family. I will be in Colorado next weekend and will buy you Dinner and a nice couple of Beers if you do indulge.
Thanks Refrigerator.

I appreciate your service to our country. I did not intend to trivialize your, or anyone elses loss in 911, I was only pointing out the the damage was highly localized. Obvioulsy, if you were in NYC, or the Pentagon, or on one of the planes, it WAS a big deal.

I am pretty busy next weekend, but thanks for the offer.

Grandpa

:tinysmile_twink_t2::tinysmile_twink_t2:WARNING; I’m about to burst your doomsday bubble for all you doomsdayers out there-

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28, 2013.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Also the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year….so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t