Good morning :-)

dinosaur

troublemaker
December 30, 8:45AM and it's 40 degrees already. Unbelievable. Supposed to have the same for New Year's Eve. Then it's finally going to get cold. Coyote hunting.

Judy Ann

Same temp here this morning. Good weather to get in a last bag night of the year before winter gets here next week. I haven't been out since Thanksgiving and am going through withdrawls. I picked up a book on backpacking NC today and can't wait to start pouring through it. Since I was in the bookstore I picked up one on 500 hiking trails in NC. It is a Falcon Guide book and looked interesting.

Off to SC for a belated holiday visit with the family and a bit of coastal camping. Happy New Year!!!

charley

I got out for a 4 mile jaunt through the woods along the local crick today. I got a cpl fleeting glimpses of a pileated woodpecker and watched a bushytailed gray squirrel scamper down the path. Saw deer prints in the mud and a recently used rub. It was a bit drizzly at times but a nice walk.

oldsarge

12/30, 3:45 PM, 43º and still raining out. Tomorrow looks better for a hike to retrieve some of my old geocaches.

Judy Ann

12/30, 3:45 PM, 43º and still raining out. Tomorrow looks better for a hike to retrieve some of my old geocaches.
I am envious of you GPS talents when it comes to finding springs and waterholes. I'm a peak to peak kind of gal and I'm concerned that I might have to carry unnecessary gallons of water because of my lack of knowledge. What do you recommend in this area? My maps, as I read them, don't indicate water sources. My area is NC, VA within 6 hours of Durham.

oldsarge

I am envious of you GPS talents when it comes to finding springs and waterholes. I'm a peak to peak kind of gal and I'm concerned that I might have to carry unnecessary gallons of water because of my lack of knowledge. What do you recommend in this area? My maps, as I read them, don't indicate water sources. My area is NC, VA within 6 hours of Durham.
A little confused here. I don't use a GPS to locate or find springs or water holes. This device won't tell you that but it will mark it's location if you have found them and bring you back to them later. As far as maps goes, what scale are they for your area? I prefer 1:25 to show more detail such as smaller streams, creeks, and low lying areas. 1:50 scale and larger will show only the larger streams so you may end up missing some of those little tributaries jutting out from them. I haven't looked at any maps of your area yet.

Judy Ann

Good morning from sunny SC. I hope everyone is having a good and happy 2012! No coastal camping this trip since cold weather is coming in. Maybe the higher elevations will get some much needed snow!

Enjoy your day all!

Last edited:

oldsarge

01-02-12, 08:40, 21º. A very light dusting of snow this morning. Thanks you mother nature for reminding me what winter is like.......you can keep the rest to the white stuff! Looking forward to spring.

CaliRockJumper

mornin' all,
coffee?

41 outside with slight haze here this morning. we will have 62 and sunshine today!
we need some snow out here please. this is excellent mountain bike weather, but its supposed to be winter!

we need some snow please!

jason

fear no beer
Well the day started off nice and warm here, but it is chilling down fast. Tomorrows high will be in the mid 50's, and then it will be going back up to the 70's as fast as it dropped.

charley

It got down to zero last night but sposed to hit 30 this afternoon. Coffee drank but still groggy. Must be these late night bowl games. Have a good day.

Judy Ann

Good morning. My coffee must have been weaker than normal cause I'm not in any hurry to get too much done this am. I can't decide what to fix for dinner, whether I want to drive out to the lake and look for eagles, or just stay home and read a good book. Sometimes a do nothing morning can be fun!

Now guilt is setting in so I guess I'd better get a workout in and at least get some groceries. :-/

wvbreamfisherman

15 degrees here at 6:30 am, about 2 inches of snow on the ground. Looking for a high of 40 and melting snow (doesn't exactly break my heart).

Good day to be working instead of wishing I was outside doing something fun.

Oh yeah, Judy Ann- going to be meatloaf for dinner this evening- I'm trying out a new recipe.

Judy Ann

15 degrees here at 6:30 am, about 2 inches of snow on the ground. Looking for a high of 40 and melting snow (doesn't exactly break my heart).

Good day to be working instead of wishing I was outside doing something fun.

Oh yeah, Judy Ann- going to be meatloaf for dinner this evening- I'm trying out a new recipe.
Hmmm. Whatcha gonna be mixing up in your new recipe?

wvbreamfisherman

This came is a Kroger flyer, but it looked good so I'm giving it a try. (Actually my mother-in-law's meatloaf recipe is the best i've had, but it makes two huge loaves.)

Mini cheese-stuffed meatloaves.

Prep time 15 minutes Total time 45 minutes.

Ingredients:

1 egg, beaten

3/4 cups milk

1/2 cup quick-cook oats

1 tsp salt

1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey

12 (3/4 inch) cubes mild cheddar cheese

2/3 cups ketchup

1/4 cup light brown sugar. packed

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

Spray 12 muffin tims with cooking spray

Combine the beatne egg, milk, oats and salt in large bowl. Add in meat, mixing well.

Divide into 12 equal portions, place cheese cube in center of meat and roll to make a ball.

Place one ball in each muffin tin.

Combine ketchup and brown sugar, stir thoroughly and spread over each mini-loaf.

Bake uncovered on center oven rack for 30 minutes.

This is the original recipe. I'm going to add some minded onions to the meat, and add about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to the ketchup/brown sugar mix.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

jason

fear no beer
My friend said it was 22 at 7 am this morning on his way home from work. It is now 52. Sadly around 10 am I noticed my sprinkler system for the garden had a pipe freeze and break.